Can I extend an existing WIFI network with TP Link products?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-09 22:16:06 - last edited 2022-08-10 02:09:26
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: OEI[RMTVERVKT ER, K

OK, THE MODEL I JUST WASTED $168 ON IS NOT EVEN LISTED, SO I JUST THREW A DART.  THIS IS THE SECOND TP LINK PRODUCT I HAVE BOUGHT TO FILL THIS NEED.  BOTH HAVE FAILED.

I'VE HAD IT UP TO HERE WITH TP LINK.

I AM THE ASHAMED OWNER OF AN  AX5400, AKA THE ARCHER AX73.

I RETURNED THE FIRST ITEM (CANNOT REMEMBER THE MODEL), ASSUMING IT WAS A ONE-OFF SITUATION.

LOOK, IT'S REALLY SIMPLE.  IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE, AND IT'S NOT 1993.

WE HAVE A WIFI NETWORK ON THE PROPERTY, I'LL CALL IT "ABC."  AND A PASSWORD, I'LL CALL IT "123."

WE NEED TO EXTEND OUR WIFI COVERAGE TO THE OTHER END OF THE PROPERTY.  I HAVE BURIED 150 FEET OF CAT 5E UNDERGROUND RATED CABLE TO THE LOCATION.  PREVIOUSLY, WITH AN ASUS AC1900 WIFI ROUTER IN AP MODE, WE GOT 40O MBS, VIA WIFI.  THAT UNIT BIT THE DUST AFTER YEARS OF GOOD SERVICE, SO WE HAVE TO REPLACE IT.

TP LINK IS TELLING US THAT THE UNIT WE JUST BOUGHT "IS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR CONFIGURING WITH THE SAME SSID AND PASSWORD AS AN EXISTING NETWORK."  INDEED, I HAVE CONFIGURED IT WITH "ABC" AND "123," AND IT DOES NOT WORK.  WHEN I PLUG A LAPTOP INTO THE ETHERNET PORT I'M USING, IT'S 600 MPS.  (WE HAVE A FIBER ISP.)

WHY WOULD ANYONE SELL SOMETHING WITH "ACCESS POINT MODE" THAT DOES NOT EXTEND AN EXISTING NETWORK?????????  ISN'T THAT WHAT ACCESS POINTS DO??????????

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??????

I AM REALLY USING EVERY OUNCE OF MY SELF CONTROL TO KEEP IT CLEAN HERE.

THANKS TO ANYONE WHO CAN HELP.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Can I extend an existing WIFI network with TP Link products?
2022-08-10 02:24:55

@bht1956 

Actually, you can select and choose the correct model by typing in AX73 in the dialog box before posting.

Back to the issue you are inquiring, you should be able to configure the same SSID and password on the AX73 as that of the main network. You can change the AX73 to Access Point mode, and connect its WAN port to the LAN of the main router, then check again if you can get the correct IP address assigned by the main router.

If still doesn't work, please show us the detailed network diagram, then we can suggest further.

BTW, what is the model of the main router that the AX73 connects to? Please check and confirm if there are special settings on the main router that may block the AX73 to access the internet.

Options