Deco M5 very slow internet speeds.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-10 22:30:11 - last edited 2022-08-17 11:00:43
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V20
Firmware Version: 1.6.0 Build 20220525 Rel. 48298

Hi guys,

I am owning the Deco M5's for a little over 2 years now and for the last few weeks I'm having issues with the internet speeds. It seems to happen after the last recent update!!!

I live in The Netherlands and my ISP is T-Mobile. We're having a 1Gig (1000 Mbps) download and upload speed. Normally the speeds on the ethernet cable on my pc seems stable around 930 Mbps and upload around 550 Mbps.

After the last recent firmware update of the Deco M5 did I find multiple speed issues the last few weeks.

Out of nowhere my speeds get low and limited to sometimes 7 or 10Mbps or to 70/100Mbps. It looks like it's getting limited somehow and the whole wifi experience seems very very slow. At first I tought it was my ISP but I've tested different router/modem setups for the last few weeks and I've troubleshooted that the Deco M5's are giving this issues. After a reboot it is gone for a little while but after a few hours or days it returns to that very slow speed.

Since the release of the new reboot schedule option did I make use of it to reboot my Deco's every day at night. I thought maybe it will temporarily fix the issue, and it does but after a few hours it's getting those issues again.

I'm getting very frustrated and I really don't know what to do. I don't have warranty anymore so I can't just replace or buy new ones, and before this everything was always running okay. Can the team of developers or some other team people try to look into this issue and bring a new firmware update? (And yes I also tried resetting the Deco's already, didn't work.) I really do not want to replace the Deco's but I'm getting sick of this easygoing way TP-Link is dealing with their products and customers.

Please, look at this issue and help me out of this problem. Thanks, and keep me updated please.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco M5 very slow internet speeds.-Solution
2022-08-13 08:33:00 - last edited 2022-08-17 11:00:43

@HueZuX

Update: Turns out that I was a little stupid. I replaced the UTP cable and everything seems to work fine now.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M5 very slow internet speeds.
2022-08-11 03:13:16

@HueZuX 

Hi, could you please help me check the following details as well:

1. When Deco M5 is working as expected or after a reboot, how much speed you are supposed to get?

2. if only leaving the main M5, temporarily unplugging satellite M5 units, would the speed still keep dropping?

---Could you please also whether both Ethernet and wireless connections behave the same?

Thank you very much.

Wait for your reply.

Best regards.

Options
Re:Deco M5 very slow internet speeds.
2022-08-11 07:54:58 - last edited 2022-08-11 09:11:21

David-TP wrote

@HueZuX 

Hi, could you please help me check the following details as well:

1. When Deco M5 is working as expected or after a reboot, how much speed you are supposed to get?

2. if only leaving the main M5, temporarily unplugging satellite M5 units, would the speed still keep dropping?

---Could you please also whether both Ethernet and wireless connections behave the same?

Thank you very much.

Wait for your reply.

Best regards.

@David-TP 

Hi David, thank you for reaching out!

1. If everything works as it should, normally I would get with UTP-cable around 930Mbps on a PC. With a wireless connection to a phone, tablet of laptop it is around 450Mbps (and I'm still wondering why it is limiting at 450 Mbps when using Wi-Fi since it's a very stable connection and every wireless device limits the wifi at 450 Mbps with the Deco's)

2. When only having the main deco it's seems like it's got fixed, but not a lot since the speeds isn't the same as it is normally I'm getting around 200 Mbps on the main deco, but when connecting to the other deco's again it drops heavily. I am thinking now that there is a problem in my utp cable which connects from the Main Deco to an TP-link network switch (which supports 1000Mbps, and normally seems to work fine.) The Switch connects to: 2 other deco's with a cable and to a HomeServer.

Yes when the problem happens it is happening on both wireless and wired connections. I'm going to look deeper into the problem.

Note: I received an mail from the tp link support asking if I could install a debug firmware update for the deco, which I now did.

Edit: I've did a little bit more testing and when the Deco's are connected together wirelessly then the speed limit seems gone, it's much slower then with a UTP cable of course but that is telling me that there is something wrong with my UTP cable that connects the Main Deco to the Switch and the other deco's. I just ordered a new UTP cable and I will replace it the one that I have now. It's gonna be a tough job since the cable has to goes from downstairs to upstairs in our house haha. And I've checked the UTP cable that we have laying now, it seems like there is a cut/break in the utp cable which my guess is that the speed limit gets limited to 100Mbps. Like I said I will replace the cable tomorrow or later this weekend and will keep you guys updated.

Options
Re:Deco M5 very slow internet speeds.-Solution
2022-08-13 08:33:00 - last edited 2022-08-17 11:00:43

@HueZuX

Update: Turns out that I was a little stupid. I replaced the UTP cable and everything seems to work fine now.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 559

Replies: 3

Related Articles