Deco AXE5300 - does firmware allow ability to lock a device to a node?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-12 20:20:26

Considering the Deco AXE5300, but I require the ability to marry certain devices to certain nodes, which cannot be done with my current X68.  I have read that firmware updates are slowly rolling out that enable this capability.  I would like to know:

1) does the current firmware for the AXE5300 support the ability to lock devices to a particular node

2) if not using the 6GHz band for WiFi6E, will it be used as wireless backhaul?  Or is wired backhaul the only one supported.

Thank you.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco AXE5300 - does firmware allow ability to lock a device to a node?
2022-08-12 23:40:34

What do you mean by "node"?   You can reserve IP address for a device.   I did it with my Hayward Pool control as I need to access it using IP address on my browser to control the pool, so I don't want to keep changing my bookmark whenever the power went out.    I don't know if it actually works or not as I have not unplugged the router after I reserved the IP for it.   I guess I will find out next time when power goes out.

Options
2022-08-12 23:46:28

Or node means the "Linked Deco" device?   You want some of your devices to only use one of the 3 Deco and not the other ones?   There is an option under each device connected turn OFF "Mesh Technology".   It said under it:

Disabling this option will turn off seamless roaming between Decos for this device.

Options
2022-08-14 16:38:22

@lostchild Thanks.  Yes, I mean "linked deco device" (AKA any device that's not the 'main' one.)  Unfortunately, my experience with another Deco model and several posts here confirm that the "disable mesh" option doesn't always work the way it's described - whether that's a Deco issue or an issue with the connected clients I can't say, but that's the reality that I and others have observed.

My exact situation is that even with my current (X68) model, even having a dedicated 5GHz backhaul band still results in significant signal loss, even in a tiny house, and even when the satellites are tested in the same room as the main.  I basically only need them to function as extenders for my 2.4 GHz cameras outside the house, but my other 'important' devices always seem to pick up the weak 5GHz signal from the closest Deco (as is the point of mesh), but the signal from the main is signicantly stronger, and I'd like to force these to always be on the main.

I read another reply somewhere from a TP-Link employee that they're working on firmware to enable a separate IoT 2.4 mesh network, which would be really nice, but honestly I'd like to disable the 5GHz mesh altogether and simply use my other linked Deco devices to extend 2.4.

Options
2022-08-14 22:05:31
I have the AXE5300 and by default setting, it uses the 6GHz as dedicated Backhaul. With the disabled Mesh on device, it does not lock the device to a node. It just would not let it change node if you move the device away from it. I turned off my laptop WiFi and moved it next to the Main Deco and turned WiFi back on. Then I disabled Mesh and move the laptop back to my desk at the other side of the house. It is still connected to the Main Deco even though the Office Deco is only 5 feet away. But once I turn off WiFi and turn it back on, it connected to the Deco with the strongest signal which is the Office Deco 5 feet away. The Mesh seems to be working for me as if I connect to the Main Deco (about 40 to 50 feet) away, my speed test is 500Mbps. If I connect to the Office Deco 5 feet away, my speed test is 750Mbps.
Options