How to Secure Powerline Network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-15 21:39:48
Model: TL-WPA8630 KIT  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.0.2 20170509 58359

I set up the TL-WPA8630P Kit in my appartment a couple of years ago and it works just fine. Now I would like to extend the network in two additional rooms and installed the clients from this kit: WPA4220T.

To my surpise, the LAN worked right away. I did not have to enter some code or passphrase or anything to connect the new elements with the exisiting ones.

So, my question is, how would I prevent my neighbors to access my network by just plugging in some TP client? What am I looking for to secure the LAN?

Thank you very much in advance.

Bill

Options
2 Reply
Re:How to Secure Powerline Network
2022-08-19 06:09:43

Hello   @BillBeaver 

Thank you for the feedback.

You could try to unpair or factory reset the powerline device, and manually press the pair button to pair the first kit, when you manually press the Pair button, the powerline unit will generate a randomly Powerline key. 

FAQ: How to secure (pair) the Powerline Network?

Then you could try to put the 3rd adapter closer to the 2nd adapter ,both in wall socket and pair them so 3rd adapter will be added into your existing powerline network. 

Hope this helps. 

Options
Re:How to Secure Powerline Network
2022-08-29 04:01:38

My TP-Link power lines are good i get around 160mbps consistently and 240/250mbps direct from the router - general rule is you lose 40/50% of speed. Secure wise the Tp-Link application gives you the option the encrypt the power lines so i would say secure enough. Additionally without pairing someone can't add a power line to your power line network.

Options