Smart Connect and WPA2/WPA3 cut my internet speed in half

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-16 13:57:17 - last edited 2022-08-19 08:07:27
Model: Archer AX1500  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.1 Build 20220401 Rel. 57429(5553)

Hi,

After doing some research today I realized that enabling Smart Connect on my AX1500 V1 really slows down my internet. All the devices I tried support dual band and WiFi 6, so that's not the issue. 

My internet is speed is supposed to be 600/60mb. I get that full speed connected through ethernet and even through WiFi when I disable Smart Connect, set up the 5GHz to 80MHz, channel 48 and disable any WiFi password.

With Smart Connect and WPA2/WPA3 I get only ~250/60mb. This is true even if I'm 1 ft away from the router. 

I was wondering, is this a firmware bug, or is this part of the Smart Connect and WPA2/WPA3 "feature"?

It might also be that if I could have changed the 5Ghz settings while using Smart Connect and change width and channels, the problem would partly sort itself out.

The other side of this problem is that I have a printer that doesn't support 5GHz network, so if I don't use the Smart Connect feature, I'm afraid I won't be able to connect to the printer.

What should I do in order to get the full speed?  (I imagine that security-wise I should switch to MAC filtering, right?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Smart Connect and WPA2/WPA3 cut my internet speed in half
2022-08-16 18:24:57

@FabianTechGuy 

Did you also test what speed you get with Smart Connect disabled, 5GHz to 80MHz, channel 48 and WPA2/WPA3 enabled.

WPA2/WPA3 should not have such an influence on the Wi-Fi speed.

MAC filtering is not a full substitute for WPA2/WPA3.

When sending data over an unenrcypted wireless connection someone with a Wi-Fi sniffer could listen to the data transfers between your router and your wirlessly connected devices and then extract the devices' MAC addresses from the data packets.

Options
2022-08-16 18:55:57

@woozle Yes I have, it was still slower (went down from 600mb to ~450mb)

it sends weird to me because the connection speed should, in theory be much higher so I don't understand why the Internet performance should be sacrificed at all

Options
2022-08-16 19:44:13

@FabianTechGuy 

Even so, I recommend you still keep using WPA2/WPA3 security for the Wi-Fi connections.

Smart Connect can be turned off if it doesn't work properly for you. Even if you have two different SSIDs for 2,4 GHz and 5 GHz the access to your printer shouldn't be affected.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1292

Replies: 3

Related Articles