Bridge mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Bridge mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Bridge mode
Bridge mode
2022-08-20 09:56:00 - last edited 2022-08-22 00:57:16

Good morning all. 

I have no cable/landline, so all my Internet is via my mobile phone and I use the hotspot. This works perfectly adequate for most of my other devices/requirements but can be a bit sketchy for some of the devices further away from the phone. I don't want another contract/sim or to take the sim out of my phone. 

I have been told that I could use a repeater (re200) to connect to the phones hotspot and then connect the problem devices to that... Is that absolutely correct? 

Also, and this would possibly be even better, I have been told that I could use a router in "bridge mode" to achieve the same thing, again is this correct and which dual band routers support this? 

What I am hoping for is this :-

Phone hotspot>>>(wifi) >>> router >>> (wifi) >>> devices. 

This way the router is doing all the hard work. 

Thank you in anticipation. 

Chris 

Options
6 Reply
Re:Bridge mode
2022-08-20 17:25:47 - last edited 2022-08-22 00:57:16

@SSThing 

Here's a list of routers that support 'Range Extender' mode or WDS feature which you could use for this scenario.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-08-20 19:23:11 - last edited 2022-08-22 00:57:16

@terziyski 

Thank you very much. 

Do you happen to know if any of the devices in the lists can access 5ghz channel 149?

My Samsung phone can only operate 5ghz/149 (cannot be changed) and I have tried a couple of extenders/repeaters and they cannot see 149.

Options
2022-08-20 20:42:23 - last edited 2022-08-22 00:57:16

@SSThing 

Not sure which routers from this list will be able to meet this requirement.

If the router is with a 'US' region FW - this could be checked on the device's bottom sticker, it's quite possible that it supports channel 149.

Check this thread - it contains a screenshot from Archer C54, wich supports channel 149. I would assume that Archer C64 would support it too.

Check my reply in your other thread for more details on that matter.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-08-22 03:29:11

@SSThing 

To work with a mobile hotpot Wi-Fi you could try a Wi-Fi range extender (recommended) or router that support Repeater /Extender mode instead of a router that uses WDS feature (WDS may be incompatible between different products mentioned in FAQ here). 

To use channel 149, as @terziyski mentioned, you need to find a (US) version product, as (EU) version does not support Band4 channel 149 , learn more details from here Notice for the (EU )Version TP-Link Range Extenders

As mobile hotspot is not stably as a Wi-Fi router  personally, I recommended considering a 4Ghz Wi-Fi router and put the SIM in a router directly for a more stable connection. 

Options
2022-08-22 07:35:12
Thank you Solla-topee. It was TP-link customer support who emailed me and recommended the RE200 after I explained what I was trying to achieve but, at the time of my initial contact, I had no idea that my Samsung ZFold3 restricts the 5ghz hotspot to channel 149. I did however make it perfectly clear what device I was using. So I purchased the RE200 only to discover it didn't work. Then I returned it and purchased a more expensive RE315 but that was exactly the same so I started doing more searching and found out the reason it wasn't working. This is really frustrating because obviously 5ghz/149 is allowed in the UK (apparently since 2020?). I don't want to put my sim into another device, I don't want to get another sim or cable or landline contract. I just want to use an extender/router (in bridge mode) for exactly what it is designed to do. Sourcing a US model isn't really an option for numerous reasons.
Options
2022-08-24 01:38:01

@SSThing 

Thanks for sharing more information, if Samsung phone 5Ghz uses channel 149,  range extender (EU) can only work with 2.4Ghz of Hotspot then.

Hope you can find a suitable product soon. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 798

Replies: 6

Related Articles