Onboard AI? [C320WS]

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Onboard AI? [C320WS]

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Onboard AI? [C320WS]
Onboard AI? [C320WS]
2022-08-30 14:00:53 - last edited 2022-08-30 14:49:13
Model: Tapo C320WS  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I'm considering purchasing a C320WS. Please answer: does it have onboard AI for person detection or is that functionality cloud-dependent? Official specs / data sheet make no mention of person detection, which is strange since it's a selling point. All I had to go by were various reviews, which offer conflicting information - some saying AI is embedded, others saying it's cloud-based. Maybe it depends on the market or hw revision? Can I please get a conclusive answer?

Also with regard to person detection quality/usefulness, the reviews aren't exactly stellar. Is this something that can be improved with firmware updates or is the algorithm hard-baked on the chip?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Onboard AI? [C320WS]
2022-08-30 17:48:15 - last edited 2022-08-30 17:52:00

@aerDNA There is person detection (no subscription required but it's only a change in the text of the notification saying person detected instead of motion detected) however it's a hit or miss in most cases. I've seen people walk by and I don't get a notification. Another thing you should know if you wish to put it outside is that you don't get notified if the camera goes offline and it will occasionally. And you wouldn't know until you check the app. Plus no screenshots with notifications to let you glance who it is. 15fps with these cameras is pretty much useless as pausing videos makes everything hazy and they don't have exposure correction as well which should be there on outdoor cameras. Mine gets blinded when sunlight hits the driveway. And no cloud storage or notification via email so if it is taken off you wouldn't know in time because there's nothing to notify you about the status and you wouldn't see who took it because they took the sd card too. Unless ofcourse you buy their tapocare subscription which offers all the above mentioned features (except camera offline notification) and costs the price of 2 c320ws per year if you have more than 3 (1 c320ws if that's the only camera you have). I jumped ship and got 8 of these . One is already stolen and I had no idea and tp link support said third party cloud storage is not a popular request neither notification of motion with image/screenshot via email. So I'd think twice if I were you. Night vision is solid with camera tampering notification but there's no separate alarm on the camera itself that can be triggered when someone tampers it. There's an alarm which would ring at every movement detection which doesn't make sense, there's no customised option. There's also a line detection which I use so I get notified before someone reaches close to the camera . It basically allows you to set a virtual line in camera view and anyone crossing it shall trigger an alert. It has onvif and Nas support but that means you need to buy additional hardware and they do have certain limitations. This is cheap and good but having used 8 of these I'd keep my eyes open for other options too  Hope this helps . Cheers! 

Options
Re:Onboard AI? [C320WS]
2022-08-30 19:03:17
That was an exhaustive reply, thank you very much. It was helpful.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 445

Replies: 2