RE 315 Range Extender One Mesh Limitations

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-05 14:07:03 - last edited 2022-09-07 10:18:14
Model: RE315  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello, i intend to buy the TP Link RE 315 Range Extender, but i read in Amazon shop review that it has certain One Mesh limitations. Specifically, the reviewer said that "However, if you are buying this for One Mesh, it has limitations. 2.4 Ghz band will be used for backhaul between the extender and the router, 5Ghz will be used for device/client connections. Not an issue unless you want 2.4 Ghz  connection to devices, since 5Ghz causes bigger packet loss through walls and has a smaller range."

Is this true? Does the RE 315 only use the 5Ghz band in OneMesh mode?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:RE 315 Range Extender One Mesh Limitations-Solution
2022-09-07 09:55:06 - last edited 2022-09-07 10:18:14

Hello  @ChinookBG 

Thank you for being interested in TP-Link One Mesh range extenders. 

Dual-band range extender will broadcast both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz Wi-Fi bands for the network client devices, regardless OneMesh is ON or OFF.  This means your laptops or phones can use two bands at the same time when OneMesh is enabled on the range extender. 

I think the reviewer may want to talk about the 'half-duplex mode' on the range extender, the extender talks to the main router or the wireless client device in either way, not at the same time, that will in some extent affect the speed of the extender (compared to the Ethernet connection). But this does not affect the Range extender operating on both Wi-Fi bands and can provide internet for network devices through both Wi-Fi bands at the same time. 

Hope this help answer your question. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:RE 315 Range Extender One Mesh Limitations-Solution
2022-09-07 09:55:06 - last edited 2022-09-07 10:18:14

Hello  @ChinookBG 

Thank you for being interested in TP-Link One Mesh range extenders. 

Dual-band range extender will broadcast both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz Wi-Fi bands for the network client devices, regardless OneMesh is ON or OFF.  This means your laptops or phones can use two bands at the same time when OneMesh is enabled on the range extender. 

I think the reviewer may want to talk about the 'half-duplex mode' on the range extender, the extender talks to the main router or the wireless client device in either way, not at the same time, that will in some extent affect the speed of the extender (compared to the Ethernet connection). But this does not affect the Range extender operating on both Wi-Fi bands and can provide internet for network devices through both Wi-Fi bands at the same time. 

Hope this help answer your question. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:RE 315 Range Extender One Mesh Limitations
2022-09-07 10:22:22

@Solla-topee Thank you very much for the assistance, i'm buying the extender then. Have a great day.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 978

Replies: 2

Related Articles