Range Extender connected via Ethernet (~ Access Point) but with OneMesh

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-12 14:19:24 - last edited 2022-09-27 12:02:24
Model: RE315  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.8 Build 210907 Rel.55173n (6985/8575)

Hello!

I've bought Archer C80 and RE315 to setup a network at my 2-store apartment. Since the floors are pretty thick the radio connectivity between stores is kinda bad (it's fine on the stairs between those), but there are Ethernet plugs running in walls, so I thought I could use RE315 connected to C80 via wired LAN so that it would still work as an extension point, yet it would communicate with the router via the wire instead of the radio. Also, I thought that OneMesh could help me to get jitter-free experience when walking between floors.

However, while settings it all up I've found out that to use wired connection I have to switch RE315 into Access Point mode, and this disables even picking the OneMesh option. As far as I can see in the settings, the only way OneMesh could work is if there is radio connectivity between the devices, but it's not my scenario: the only places I could put those show very bad signal between those. Access Point mode works pretty fine on it's own, but using two SSIDs is a bit harder, and I guess there would be no seamless roaming when going between floors.

Do I see right that this is a non-existing feature (and then it's a feature request)? It seems to me that those devices could work together, so it's possible. Or maybe there are some advanced options that I'm missing to get the intended behaviour?

Archer C80 hardware version: 1.0, firmware: 1.11.0 Build 220425 Rel.43193n(4555).

Thanks in advance.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Range Extender connected via Ethernet (~ Access Point) but with OneMesh-Solution
2022-09-13 18:20:22 - last edited 2022-09-27 12:02:24

@LDVSoft 

Yes, the feature you're talking about is called ethernet backhaul for OneMesh capable REs and it's not implemented - check this feature request.

Out of the box, you could set the RE315's SSIDs the same as C80's, if you want to have the same SSID on both devices.

While this is not like the OneMesh seamless roaming, try it and see if it suits your needs.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Range Extender connected via Ethernet (~ Access Point) but with OneMesh-Solution
2022-09-13 18:20:22 - last edited 2022-09-27 12:02:24

@LDVSoft 

Yes, the feature you're talking about is called ethernet backhaul for OneMesh capable REs and it's not implemented - check this feature request.

Out of the box, you could set the RE315's SSIDs the same as C80's, if you want to have the same SSID on both devices.

While this is not like the OneMesh seamless roaming, try it and see if it suits your needs.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 462

Replies: 1

Related Articles