TPlinkdns created sucessfully but can't access router via DNS name - IP Adress works fine

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TPlinkdns created sucessfully but can't access router via DNS name - IP Adress works fine

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-01 16:06:27
Model: Archer VR2100v  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.14.0 0.9.1 v009e.0 Build 220719 Rel.61012n

Hi guys,

I created a dynamic dns name via tplinkdns.com and binded with my router. The dynamicdomainname seems to work properly. IP address is can be achieved by looking up or pinging the name.

However, when I try to access my browser via the name I land on a strange page that looks like this:

If I use the IP-Address after looking up my own DNSname I land on the correct page which looks like this:

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Fernando

Options
3 Reply
Re:TPlinkdns created sucessfully but can't access router via DNS name - IP Adress works fine
2022-10-03 22:04:47

@FMDSF 

Hey Fernando

TP Link DNS is a Dymanic DNS Service, therefore its designed for accessing your network from REMOTE and no inside.  

Using the DDNS from inside your network will give all sorts of strange results as you are seeing, however direct IP will work.    If you where however to connect from a library or friends house, DDNS will work and IP wont.

In short DDNS wont be useful to you inside your network, its for external access.

Options
Re:TPlinkdns created sucessfully but can't access router via DNS name - IP Adress works fine
2022-10-04 07:01:21

@Philbert 

Thank you very much for your answer. 

But the result is the same no matter where or who is trying to access my DNS Link. 

I asked several people to access my link out of different networks over internet. 

The issue is somewhere else, I believe. 

Philbert wrote

@FMDSF 

Hey Fernando

TP Link DNS is a Dymanic DNS Service, therefore its designed for accessing your network from REMOTE and no inside.  

Using the DDNS from inside your network will give all sorts of strange results as you are seeing, however direct IP will work.    If you where however to connect from a library or friends house, DDNS will work and IP wont.

In short DDNS wont be useful to you inside your network, its for external access.

Options
2022-10-04 18:10:22

Update from my side. 

I made a simple test and created an account at duckdns. This is easy to setup via the router and as it is embedded in the WEB GUI. I have choosen duck DNS because I like ducks. Et voila, it works as expected. I am able to access my TP Link Router without any problems or weird landing pages. No matter I try to access the IP address via VPN from inside my LAN or from any other network via WAN. Duck DNS works.

At the moment both DNS services are activated at the same time and the issue is repeatable, always. But I will deactivate the TP link DNS service and stick to duck dns. If anyone from TP LINK wants to have a look at this issue then contact me. If there is no interest then highlight my issue as solved by choosing a different DNS service.

Have a nice day.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 353

Replies: 3