Throttled WiFi speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Throttled WiFi speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Throttled WiFi speed
Throttled WiFi speed
2022-10-02 19:47:43 - last edited 2022-10-09 07:34:25
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I was unhappy with our in-home network speeds, which have been a challenge when working at home all the time.   We are served by the cable company... and the issue is mostly upstream which is supposed to run at 10 mbps but was often running at less than 1.  So some want reluctantly, we upgraded to the Gig speed offering but nothing has changed.  With it installed I can run the speed test in the Deco app and can see the Deco is getting 900 mbps down and 40 mps up from the cable modem.  But when I run the test either with Ookia Speed test or Deco Lab speed test from my phone (or from any of our laptops) I get top speeds in and around 200 mbps down and <10 mbps up.  The same as before. 

When the cable guy came out to test he found the same... right out of the cable modem we see ~900 mbps down by 40 mbps up, but not on the WiFi.   When I run the speed test via a Ethernet cable right out of the Deco I get the same throttled performance.  So clearly the Deco is the issue. 

Based on a couple of similar post and discussions I read here I have also tried the following:

- Inserted a Gig switch in between the cable modem and the Deco, which someone else reported fixing a similar problem, but it had no effect for me. 

- I unplugged all of the remote Deco units in case they were some how throttling the speed. 

- I tested two different cable modems (Motorola and Netgear)... Deco performed the same with both. 

Thanks in advance for all help offered. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Throttled WiFi speed-Solution
2022-10-03 14:33:40 - last edited 2022-10-03 14:33:45

@S2Ventures So I solved this issue... and I think this is important information to know (which the documenation does not sufficiently explain) and I am wondering if this wouldn't have solved other similar issues I saw posted here.  Here is what I learned. 

Findings: When I first instaled the Deco a couple of years ago I turned on QOS.  When you turn on QOS two important things also happen.  1. You can select devices on your network to recieve priorty routing services.  2. The system runs a speed test of your network to estalish how much bandwith it has to work with.  Apparently, the system then caps any device... including the priory devices... to something short of the total bandwith available.  So when I initially set up the system, I had a package from the cable company that provided approximately 200 mbps down and 10 mbps up.  ... thus the limits where set.  Now that I upgraded the package to 1200 mbps down and 40 mbps up, the Deco still limited all decises to the previous settings.  

The way I figured this out: When I ran the bandwith test from within the Deco app (Deco App --> More ==> Test Internet Spped) i got results in the 900 down and 40 up range.  But when I ran Okkia's speed test from my phone or a PC directly connected to the Deco, I recieved speeds in the 200 down and 10 up range.  So clearly the Deco was seeing the higher speeds from the Cable modem, but was limiting them out the back end of the router.  

Solution: There is some mention in a trouble shooting document I found online here of "Turning off QOS" as a trouble shooting step.  But it doesn't explain why.  So I epect this would have solved the issue, but the QOS feature I like (at least in theory) given the large number of decises I have on the network... and the 4 or 5 that I do what to get priorty.  So the way I solved this issue is went into the QOS administration (Deco App --> Home Healthcare --> QOS) and towards the bottom of the screen you will see what the Total Bandwidth settings are.  In my case it was 200 mbps down and 10 mbps up.  If you click on these settings you can change them either by running a new bandwidth test or you can set them mannualy (which the app doesn't really like).  Note running the bandwith test on the "More" tab does not re-set the QOS settings, you have to run it within the QOS settings section of the app and the accept those as your new Avialble Bandwith settings. 

Once I did this, all of my decises started to test as would be expected.  

Hope this helps others. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Throttled WiFi speed
2022-10-02 21:36:26

@S2Ventures 

This is what I would recommend. Get yourself cable gateway (modem+router) instead of just modem. Run Deco mesh in access point mode. 

This is the configuration I have at my house and it works fine for almost 2 years now. Anything wired to Deco is getting ISP advertised speed: gigabit down, 30 Mbps up.

Options
Re:Throttled WiFi speed-Solution
2022-10-03 14:33:40 - last edited 2022-10-03 14:33:45

@S2Ventures So I solved this issue... and I think this is important information to know (which the documenation does not sufficiently explain) and I am wondering if this wouldn't have solved other similar issues I saw posted here.  Here is what I learned. 

Findings: When I first instaled the Deco a couple of years ago I turned on QOS.  When you turn on QOS two important things also happen.  1. You can select devices on your network to recieve priorty routing services.  2. The system runs a speed test of your network to estalish how much bandwith it has to work with.  Apparently, the system then caps any device... including the priory devices... to something short of the total bandwith available.  So when I initially set up the system, I had a package from the cable company that provided approximately 200 mbps down and 10 mbps up.  ... thus the limits where set.  Now that I upgraded the package to 1200 mbps down and 40 mbps up, the Deco still limited all decises to the previous settings.  

The way I figured this out: When I ran the bandwith test from within the Deco app (Deco App --> More ==> Test Internet Spped) i got results in the 900 down and 40 up range.  But when I ran Okkia's speed test from my phone or a PC directly connected to the Deco, I recieved speeds in the 200 down and 10 up range.  So clearly the Deco was seeing the higher speeds from the Cable modem, but was limiting them out the back end of the router.  

Solution: There is some mention in a trouble shooting document I found online here of "Turning off QOS" as a trouble shooting step.  But it doesn't explain why.  So I epect this would have solved the issue, but the QOS feature I like (at least in theory) given the large number of decises I have on the network... and the 4 or 5 that I do what to get priorty.  So the way I solved this issue is went into the QOS administration (Deco App --> Home Healthcare --> QOS) and towards the bottom of the screen you will see what the Total Bandwidth settings are.  In my case it was 200 mbps down and 10 mbps up.  If you click on these settings you can change them either by running a new bandwidth test or you can set them mannualy (which the app doesn't really like).  Note running the bandwith test on the "More" tab does not re-set the QOS settings, you have to run it within the QOS settings section of the app and the accept those as your new Avialble Bandwith settings. 

Once I did this, all of my decises started to test as would be expected.  

Hope this helps others. 

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 394

Replies: 2

Related Articles