Using a VR400 as an Access Point

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-04 19:25:30
Tags: #Roaming #switch
Model: Archer VR400  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 0.9.1 v00a1.0 Build 201109 Rel.54507n

I want to use a spare VR400 to boost the signal for a friend's home network. What I would like to do is connect the main (FTTP PPPoE) router via one of its switch ports and an RJ45 cable to the VR400, then set the VR400 SSID to the same as the main router. I could then have client devices connect to either the main or the VR400 wireless with the same SSID/PSK.

I would then disable DHCP on the VR400 and the DHCP request/response should go from the client, through the VR400 wireless to the VR400 wired port, to the main router, which would respond. This is all possible on other routers, because the switch and the wireless are all part of the same L2 domain. However, I can't seem to configure the switch and the wireless to be in the ame L2 domain. I have managed to get it to work (sort of) by connecting the Ethernet WAN port on the VR400 to the main router, running this with an address from the main router's IP subnet, and using the VR400 router to support the VR400 wireless in a different subnet.

This works after a fashion, but I was hoping to enable the clients to roam from one device to the other, possible if both wirelesses are in the same IP subnet and have the same SSID/PSK. What am I doing wrong? is this a limitation of the VR400, I've done this same trick with other hardware with great success

Options
1 Reply
Re:Using a VR400 as an Access Point
2022-10-04 23:14:57 - last edited 2022-10-04 23:17:16

@Jimbo54 

Check this guide for details - keep your VR400 in 'DSL modem router mode' when doing the configuration and use LAN=>LAN connection.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1020

Replies: 1

Tags

Roaming
switch
Related Articles