Combining EAP610 outdoor with TP-Link Deco X55 Wi-Fi 6

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-02 02:14:32

Looking for some advice. I am wanting to purchase a home mesh system (the x55 is what I have had recommended). I want to be able to cast wifi up my driveway (150 metres/492 feet). I have had recommended the EAP610. Do these two systems integrate? Setup for the x55 and EAP610 look different (Deco v Omada).

Is anyone able to give me the rundown on whether these will both work together? Looking at connecting the EAP610 to the x55 via ethernet.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Combining EAP610 outdoor with TP-Link Deco X55 Wi-Fi 6
2022-11-02 17:23:37

@T_G 

Evening..

The Deco and Omada systems are very different and wont naturally integrate fully, it would depend on what you are hoping to achieve here.

Mesh systems generally only work together in the one family.  Deco will work with any Deco, Omada with Omada.. but not together!  

That being said, you could cable the Omada AP into the Deco, but it would work as its own entity (no roaming or mesh).

What have you in place at the moment hardware wise?   What is your ISP router for example.   Are you looking a mesh system for the whole house and driveway? 

Just be careful with the term "Mesh System".  All that really means is mutiple APs connected via WiFi (no cable), so if you are running cables here then its not a Mesh you are after.

If you can give us as much info on what you are looking to do, then hopefully I can chuck you a few ideas :)

Options
2022-11-02 19:48:43

@Philbert Thanks for the response. I did a bit more research and saw the omada and deco aren't able to integrate. Seeing what is required for Omada I felt the cost (and brainpower to get my head around it) wasn't justified.

I definitely want to retain the mesh aspect because of the size of the section (3500 square metres). Running cables up the driveway for the network may be impractical (150 metres long with a 25 metre elevation from house to the top of the driveway). I did see TP-Link are releasing an x50 outdoor deco unit which I will mount on the top of the house with the hope the cast reaches around the property. Any advice on how to place a unit? I have purchased two deco x55 units to start with. Have included the sat view of the section shape.

File:
Screenshot 2022-11-03 084749.pngDownload
Options
2022-11-03 03:51:37

@T_G Hi, I might have different options. EAP610 did work with Deco X55 via an Ethernet connection. Deco mesh and EAP mesh are not compatible with each other, which does not stop EAP610 from being able to extend the Deco connection elsewhere. It is just when a device is out of Deco wireless range and moves to EAP610, the wrieless roaming would be longer and noticeable. Considering there are 150m, I would think it is acceptable. Other than that, EAP could not be controlled via Deco APP and it needs another Omada APP. I have Deco M9 plus+EAP110-outdoor to provide a wireless connection for my security cameras that are 50-60m away. Since X55 does not support POE, I think you might need a PoE switch as I do. Another advice would be mounting EAP610 halfway to the driveway, on the tree or pole maybe.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1348

Replies: 3