New TP-link archer ax73 can't access some websites

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-04 10:27:33
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.2 Build 20220524 rel.51659(4555)

Recently bought a new TP-Link archer ax73. Installation was easy and pairing my devices went well. Then when I was going to surf to some web pages I saw that I couldn't reach some (quite a few). When I had the cable from my cable modem directly into the computer there was no problem opening the web pages (as it has never been before with my older router either) but when I let them go through the router then the problem comes.

I have seen several others have similar problems with suggested solutions that I have followed.

I have changed as far as I know all settings on the router; changed DNS settings to Google's or Cloudflare's DNS resized MTU, cloned MAC address. Nothing works. Has no parental control specified, has deactivated the firewall on both the router and the computer, nothing. Factory reset the router and restarted it between settings. Absolutely nothing works.

So to what works, but it has nothing to do with the router. It is when I activate my VPN on the computer or on my mobile that it works again. It's my external VPN, not the one in the router. Why? It must be something with the DNS anyway as these web pages work if I activate a VPN on the computer. Don't want to have my VPN on all the time though. And on some devices like Google Nest or Home, it doesn't work.

What to do. I'll be reinstalling my old Netgear router soon, it worked perfectly.

Hope for answers

Options
4 Reply
Re:New TP-link archer ax73 can't access some websites
2022-11-05 14:47:56 - last edited 2022-11-05 16:18:48

Answering myself. The router is inoperable as it cannot be used. Switched back to my old router.

During installation, I used the Quick Setup Wizard and then changed a few settings under the advanced tab. Have not used Smart Connect, but I have set each 2.4 and 5 GHz band separately. Have then changed the WAN side (Internet) DNS addresses with either Cloudflare's or Google's free DNS addresses. Haven't used my ISP DNS, which by the way don't seem to be correct when the router should detect them, don't think my ISP has 1.1.1.1 and 10.10.10.10 as DNS, anyway they haven't before, 1.1.1.1 is Cloudflare, right? Since then I haven't changed almost anything. Have added the above DNS addresses also under the LAN side (DHCP server) but that doesn't make it any better either with or without.

Have tried with changing the MTU size to a lower size, 576, 1400 or 1460 but no solution. Tried turning off the router's firewall and also my computer's (using Ubuntu) but nothing better. I've even cloned the MAC address. Is there something in the router that restricts web pages? There are functions in HomeShield that do that. Eg Network Security. I have not set any such or subscribed to any such feature. Is there any feature in the free HomeShield that restricts and blocks web pages? If so, how do I disable it?

My computer is connected with a cable to the router. But the router behaves the same with the devices that are connected via WiFi. Because of that, none of these devices (eg Google Home, Google Nest or smart TV) work satisfactorily.

So the router is not usable. It may not have been very expensive, but a new router is still expected to work. And that with simple settings, doesn't have the time required to sit and try different settings back and forth. When I bought my latest router, before this one, it worked out of the box, right away. Quite disappointed with TP-link now.

Options
2022-11-08 11:01:06

@pehlm 

I'm wondering what are those websites that you are blocked from. None of the clients that are connected to the AX73 network can access those websites?

What if you reset the AX73 and just reconfigure it from scratch to connect to the internet, but do not modify any other advanced settings, will you be able to visit those websites?

Who is your internet provider, and what kind of modem are they providing?

If in default mode you still cannot visit those websites, I guess maybe @Kevin_Z can suggest further.

If my reply helps with the issue, please click on the arrow pointing upward. If it solves your issue, please click the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-11-08 18:08:27 - last edited 2022-11-08 18:24:36

@Liverpool20 

Thanks for the reply.

None of the clients are able to connect to these sites. Connections to other sites are also not good. I have reset the router several times, to no avail. At each reconfiguration I have only set my wifi settings (LAN), possibly DNS settings (Google DNS, Cloudflare) but of course I have also tried using ISP DNS, nothing works, can't reach the websites. Like I said, most sites on the internet work less good but they are reachable. Sites I know can't be reached are pCloud, Proton VPN, Proton sites, my bank (lives in Sweden) and possibly many other.

My ISP provides me with a Technicolor cable TV modem. My old Netgear router works perfectly with this modem, never had a problem with internet. I have now connected the TP-Link router as an AP after the Netgear router, letting this router connect to the internet (disconnected the Netgear router's wifi), and then I can use the TP-Link router's wifi functions. But I can't connect it directly to the internet. I'm starting to think it's an ISP issue. When I connect the router with the default settings and then activate a VPN, all of a sudden I can reach all pages, but if I disconnect the VPN, it doesn't work. It indicates that my ISP is somehow not working optimally. Or maybe that their modem isn't compatible with the TP router.

I think it's far-fetched though but I don't know. It's very confusing though.

Options
2022-11-09 07:20:41

@Liverpool20 Thank you for the suggestion.

@pehlm To assist and figure it out efficiently, I've forwarded your case to the TP-Link support engineers who will contact you with your registered email address later. Please pay attention to your email box for follow-up. Thank you.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 676

Replies: 4

Related Articles