Wifi router disconnects and reconnects when on 5ghz band

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-22 07:29:05
Model: Archer C80  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.12.0 Build 220924 Rel.63783n(5553)

TP LINK Archer C80

Firmware : 1.12.0 Build 220924 Rel.63783n(5553)

Hardware : Archer C80 2.20

Problem : Whenever on the 5ghz band, the router disconnects and reconnects. This happens whenever the 5ghz band is enabled or smart connect is enabled. This issue never happens when only 2.4 ghz band is enabled. 

I have tried changing band frequency, width etc but the issue still exists. There are no issues from the ISP end. My firmware is updated to the latest version.

I have got the router recently and updated it to the latest version when I was setting it up so I dont know if this issue is because of the the firmware update.

There is a similar issue someone was facing with the same router, he was provided with a beta firmware update file and that seems to have fixed the issue for them but my router verison is V2 and the one mentioned in that theread was V1,so that file dosent work for me. Posting a link to that thread - https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/574604?page=1

Please anybody help !!!

PS: at anytime only 2-3 devices are connected to the router and the router is placed properly.

Options
8 Reply
Re:Wifi router disconnects and reconnects when on 5ghz band
2022-11-22 09:12:39

@TPC80 

That beta firmware is only for V1 as stated in the thread link you posted, so you cannot install it on your V2 hardware.

How many 5G devices connect to the C80 at the same time? Are they all disconnecting and reconnecting at the same time? Will the internet LED change to red when the disconnect occurs?

Can you post a screenshot of the 5G wireless settings on the C80? Which channel have you tried?

If those 5G client devices connect to other 5G wireless networks, are they connected fine with any disconnect?

If my reply helps with the issue, please click on the arrow pointing upward. If it solves your issue, please click the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-11-22 09:56:46

@Liverpool20 

>"How many 5G devices connect to the C80 at the same time? Are they all disconnecting and reconnecting at the same time?" 

2 devices. Yes they disconnect and reconnect at the same time 

>"Will the internet LED change to red when the disconnect occurs?" 

No. The router restarts, all lights go off and turn back on,just like it was switched off and turns back on. 

>"Can you post a screenshot of the 5G wireless settings on the C80? Which channel have you tried?" 

I've tried, Channel - 149, width 20 

Channel - 40, Width 40 

Channel 40 Width 20

Channel - Auto, Width Auto 

The devices work well with other routers on 5ghz band 

Once again I'd say it's an obvious firmware update issue as I've seen this same issue mentioned on this forum for other routers as well and a firmware update fixed it. 

Options
2022-11-22 12:22:06

TPC80 wrote

>"Will the internet LED change to red when the disconnect occurs?" 

No. The router restarts, all lights go off and turn back on,just like it was switched off and turns back on. 

@TPC80  Do you mean all the lights on the C80 go off and then on when the disconnect occurs? How come the other devices that are connected to the 2.4G network can still get the connection? Am I missing something?

Based on the above phenomenon, it seems like the C80 just rebooted itself when the disconnect happens.

What are these two 5G devices? Are they both phones? Any special activity or traffic that you are aware of on these two?

If my reply helps with the issue, please click on the arrow pointing upward. If it solves your issue, please click the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-11-22 13:19:42

@Liverpool20 

>"Do you mean all the lights on the C80 go off and then on when the disconnect occurs? How come the other devices that are connected to the 2.4G network can still get the connection? Am I missing something?"

Yes all lights go off and the router starts again. No if the 5ghz band is enabled the disconnection occurs and  all devices are disconnected irrespective of the bands they are connected to as the router literally restarts on its own. When I disable the 5ghz band viz 2.4ghz band is only running such problem never occurs. 

>"What are these two 5G devices? Are they both phones? Any special activity or traffic that you are aware of on these two?"

Yeah both phones and a laptop is connected sometimes as well. No special activity or traffic on them at all. 

Options
2022-11-23 06:12:40

@TPC80 

Are these phones iPhones? Are you using Wi-Fi Calling?

Who is your ISP, and what is the WAN Connection Type? Is it PPPoE or Dynamic IP?

Please login to the router web GUI, and go to Advanced > Security > ALG, disable the IPSec Passthrough, then check to see if you can connect to the 5G network stably.

Options
2022-11-25 10:33:00

@Kevin_Z 

>"Are these phones iPhones? Are you using Wi-Fi Calling?"

No

> Is it PPPoE or Dynamic IP?

PPPoE

>Please login to the router web GUI, and go to Advanced > Security > ALG, disable the IPSec Passthrough, then check to see if you can connect to the 5G network stably.

Did not work !!

The restart only happens when connected to the 5ghz band, only firmware update can fix it. There is no firmware update for my router version V2.20 on the TP link website. Can you please do something about it? 

Options
2022-11-27 17:55:21

@TPC80 Anyone got solution for this ?

Options
2022-11-28 11:19:16

Hello @TPC80 

Your case has been escalated to the support engineers for a follow-up, please check your email box. Thank you.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 828

Replies: 8