So many issues, don't even know where to begin :(

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-27 19:54:58
Model: Tapo C310  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.11

I really like the cameras (I have 2 C200, and 1 C310) but am very close to just returning them all unless the following issues get resolved:

I would really appreciate any help I can get. Many thanks in advance.

1. I have been unable to update the firmware which is stuck on 1.1.11 ever since I purchased it a little over a month ago. Updates keep failing. Customer service wanted me to use a Window laptop and send them a log. Sorry, I only use iphone and haven't got any laptops with  Windows OS.

2. The cameras ONLY work on WiFi. The minute I turn on mobile data they all go offline. What's the point?

3. The dates randomly shows August 2021. 

Regards

N

Options
7 Reply
Re:So many issues, don't even know where to begin :(
2022-12-01 03:14:05

Hi  @Nivea 

Thank you for raising this topic. For this issue, please try to change the DNS settings on your router to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. It is possible that the camera fails to connect to the cloud server, so it cannot sync the time correctly and be controlled remotely. 

What's the model of your router? Could you check what's the system time of the router?

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2022-12-01 03:39:43

@Wayne-TP Hi :)

Thank you for you message. Details as follows:

Technicolor DJA0231 

System time on router is perfect!

2022-12-01 14:35:36

Options
2023-02-24 10:25:44

The issues still remain unresolved. It fails to update the firmware every single time. Why is your software so incredibly bad??

Options
2023-03-01 07:55:19

@Nivea 

Please try to reset the camera and configure it to the guest network or the hotspot (with another phone). If the firmware update proceed successfully, the remote control should work as well. 

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2023-03-01 08:11:15

@Nivea Thanks Wayne, will try to update firmware as advised and revert with outcome. 

Options
2023-05-24 17:03:59

@Nivea 

I understand your frustration with the issues you're facing with the Tapo cameras (C200 and C310). It can be really disappointing when the firmware update fails repeatedly, especially when customer service suggests using a Windows to Connect Laptop for troubleshooting. It's understandable that you primarily use an iPhone and don't have access to a Windows OS device.

The second issue you mentioned is also concerning. If the cameras only work on WiFi and go offline as soon as you enable mobile data, it defeats the purpose of having a mobile security solution.

Lastly, the random display of August 2021 as the date is definitely a peculiar issue that needs to be addressed.

Considering the number of problems you're facing, it's understandable that you're considering returning the cameras. It might be worth reaching out to customer support again and explaining the difficulties you're encountering. Hopefully, they can provide alternative solutions or workarounds to resolve these issues.

Options
2023-05-24 21:18:16

@jhonbrike412 Thank you for your message.

I can't return the cameras for a refund because the company has cunningly stated that the security camera cannot be returned on account of a software failure in its terms and conditions! I could easily take them to CAV (Consumer Affairs Victoria) and get a refund. Unfortunately my time is worth a lot more. So I have just left negative reviews on Amazon. 

In the meantime I am looking for some reliable security cameras as a replacement. No longer relying on cheap junk like Tapo.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 418

Replies: 7

Related Articles