Deco HC4 - swap main deco failed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-08 01:36:17 - last edited 2022-12-08 07:54:40
Model: Deco E4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I have 02 HC4 wirelessly connected to each other. And main connected to ISP modem using cable. 

I tried to set the satellite box to main, but it stopped working with red light. So my questions:

- is it mandatory to connect main box to internet source using cable?

- if I have better box, ie M5, when I change M5 to main, i will get more advanced features, right?

- currently I set boxes at Router mode. If I change them to AP mode and connect them to a switch, I can easily change the main box to new M5 right?

- since I want to connect those boxed to a switch (not to each other because of cable layout), I will set them as AP mode. Any recommendation for TP-Link router with good security features? I'm asking ISP to change their modem to bridge mode.

Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco HC4 - swap main deco failed-Solution
2022-12-08 07:46:57 - last edited 2022-12-08 07:54:40

@tbang Hi, welcome to the community.

Here are some information for your reference:

Yes, the main mesh box needs to be connected to the internet source via a cable all the time.

- if I have better box, ie M5, when I change M5 to main, I will get more advanced features, right?

Yes, most of the advanced features follow with the main Deco but sometimes,  a feature will only be supported when all the mesh units are supported.

- currently, I set boxes at Router mode. If I change them to AP mode and connect them to a switch, I can easily change the main box to the new M5 right?

Yes, when in AP mode, since all the units are already wired to the switch, you don't need to manually change the physical connection.

Any recommendation for TP-Link router with good security features?

Do you have more details about the security requirement, like access control, and Mac Filtering?

There are two main Home Security systems: HomeShield and HomeCare and you could have a look first.

Best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco HC4 - swap main deco failed-Solution
2022-12-08 07:46:57 - last edited 2022-12-08 07:54:40

@tbang Hi, welcome to the community.

Here are some information for your reference:

Yes, the main mesh box needs to be connected to the internet source via a cable all the time.

- if I have better box, ie M5, when I change M5 to main, I will get more advanced features, right?

Yes, most of the advanced features follow with the main Deco but sometimes,  a feature will only be supported when all the mesh units are supported.

- currently, I set boxes at Router mode. If I change them to AP mode and connect them to a switch, I can easily change the main box to the new M5 right?

Yes, when in AP mode, since all the units are already wired to the switch, you don't need to manually change the physical connection.

Any recommendation for TP-Link router with good security features?

Do you have more details about the security requirement, like access control, and Mac Filtering?

There are two main Home Security systems: HomeShield and HomeCare and you could have a look first.

Best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Deco HC4 - swap main deco failed
2022-12-08 08:00:10

@David-TP 

Thanks David.

Regarding to security, I would need basic features only, mostly about web pages filtering, time control, QoS. It seems HomeCare will be enough. 

I see TP-Link has lots of wireless router, but I think I don't need wireless since I'm using Deco. Any non-wireless router recommended?

Options
Re:Deco HC4 - swap main deco failed
2022-12-09 03:07:10

@tbang 

Hi, Basically all the home-used routers are capable of WiFi.There are some Bussiness routers that did not support WiFi, like the models here:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/business-networking/vpn-router/

But they did not support HomeCare.Their security features include: take TL-ER6020 specification for example:

SECURITY
Filtering MAC Filtering
URL/Keywords Filtering
ARP Inspection Sending GARP Packets
ARP Scanning by WAN/LAN
IP-MAC Binding
Attack Defense TCP/UDP/ICMP Flood Defense
Block TCP Scan (Stealth FIN/Xmas/Null)
Block Ping from WAN
Access Control Source/Destination IP Based Access Control

And for HomeCare models, you could turn off its WiFi ability and let the Mesh AP provide the wireless network for the house.

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 273

Replies: 3

Related Articles