Devices Dropping Off Network After Deco M5 Firmware Update 1.6.1 Build 20220818

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-09 12:26:43 - last edited 2023-01-17 16:22:23
Tags: #Firmware Update #Devices Dropping Off Network
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.6.1 Build 20220818 Rel. 36456

I have a network of seven (7) Deco M5 devices, the primary device is connected to my Sky Network Hub via RJ45. 

The M5 is set up in Wi-Fi Router Mode, acting as the DHCP Server

60 Devices have accessing the network (on and off) throughout the day, depending on how many Phones, TV's, Firestick's, Tablets etc are in use).

I recently updated the IOS App to the latest version, and the M5 devices to the latest firmware 1.6.1 Build 20220818 Rel. 36456.

Almost immediately, problems began to surface, we began to notice that devices were struggling to connect to the network. Initially, it was an Apple MacBook, and then my wife's windows PC, then other devices seemed to randomly not being able to connect to the network. Upon investigation, I determined that both the laptops were unable to renew their IP addresses. The problem continued, with IOT devices continually losing connection to the network intermittently, the most obvious being the Ring Door Bell and Chime, as on several occasions, the door bell could not connect to notify us of activity or a person at the door.

One constant I did note, by regular checking of the IOS App, I could see that the network would only seem to allow a maximum of 30 devices to be connected at one time, with the average sitting between 27 and 29 WiFi devices being connected.

As the issues with the Ring Doorbell being unable to connect intermittently were getting to be more than inconvenient, so I decided to use one of my Deco M5 devices to create a second separate WiFi network, connected by RJ45 independently to my Internet Hub. I then moved my 4 Ring devices and 2 IOT light bulbs (which were located in the immediate area) onto this new network to see what happened. 

The new secondary network has been in place for several weeks now, and the result is that the Ring Devices and lights have exhibited no issues with loss of connection, which eliminates any concerns of incompatibility between the Ring devices and the Deco M5's.

Another interesting fact is that the Primary Deco Network, is still showing between 27 and 29 devices connected (and occasionally going to 30), so whilst devices dropping off the network is less obvious now, it is still happening. Today, I accessed the Heating System (WiFi), no problem. I then went to access it again a few minutes later, no connection. I checked the heating Hub, and it could not access the WiFi, it is situated less than 2 meters from a Deco Unit. I checked the IOS App, and there were 30 devices connected, I switched off a the Smart TV and the WiFi Set top Box, and the heating system re-established connection to the Deco.

Since the update, it appears that the Deco M5 system is limiting the number of concurrent connections. 

For clarity, I had no problems until I performed the IOS App and Firmware updates. I have swapped out the Primary Deco with other the M5 units several times, and tried running the network with fewer devices to identify if there was a hardware issue, nothing seems to make a difference. 

When devices are connected they have no issues accessing the internet or each other (i.e Printer etc)

Settings are:

• Operating Mode: WiFi Router
  • IPTV/VLAN Disabled
  • MAC Clone Disabled
  • DDNS Disabled
  • Fast Roaming Disabled
  • Beaming Forming Disabled
  • NAT Forwarding Disabled

Any assistance or guidance would be appreciated, as I have invested a great deal of money in the Deco Network and currently it is no longer performing as it should.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Devices Dropping Off Network After Deco M5 Firmware Update 1.6.1 Build 20220818-Solution
2022-12-12 09:09:25 - last edited 2023-01-17 16:22:23

@Paul-UK 

Hi, Thank you for the feedback.

Could you please help me check more details:

1. Can I have a picture of the network topology on the Deco APP? Are all the satellite Deco M5 wirelessly connected to each other?

2. How often do you usually notice the random disconnection on the clients?

3. Please also turn off the "Mesh Technology" on the devices that dropped the connection frequently to see whether it helped or not.

At the same time, I would like to follow up on your case via email. Please check whether you could get an email from me.

Best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Devices Dropping Off Network After Deco M5 Firmware Update 1.6.1 Build 20220818-Solution
2022-12-12 09:09:25 - last edited 2023-01-17 16:22:23

@Paul-UK 

Hi, Thank you for the feedback.

Could you please help me check more details:

1. Can I have a picture of the network topology on the Deco APP? Are all the satellite Deco M5 wirelessly connected to each other?

2. How often do you usually notice the random disconnection on the clients?

3. Please also turn off the "Mesh Technology" on the devices that dropped the connection frequently to see whether it helped or not.

At the same time, I would like to follow up on your case via email. Please check whether you could get an email from me.

Best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Devices Dropping Off Network After Deco M5 Firmware Update 1.6.1 Build 20220818
2022-12-14 12:25:17
Hi, Thank you for your swift response. I have switched off Mesh Technology for all devices which are static (not mobile) and I will update you with other information via email, as you have asked. Regards Paul
Options
Re:Devices Dropping Off Network After Deco M5 Firmware Update 1.6.1 Build 20220818
2023-01-17 16:21:55

@David-TP 

Hi David, 

I followed your recommendation to switch off MESH Technology for devices which were dropping off the network. I have been testing for several weeks, and your advice seems to have cured the problem. Since turning off MESH Technology, neither my Ring devices nor my Wiser Heating Hub have dropped off the network, and I now have all devices sitting on my home network without any immediate issues.

Thank you for your support

Regards

Paul

Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 628

Replies: 3

Tags

Firmware Update
Devices Dropping Off Network
Related Articles