Router modus Star network doesn't work optimal.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-12 15:51:11 - last edited 2022-12-12 16:23:08
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.1 and 1.5.6

Hello, I have a problem using Deco m9plus in router modus. 

First of all, my modem is in Bridge modus and my deco's are in Router modus. The following setup is the setup i want:

| = Cabled (eth)

X = Wireless

...................................................Modem

..........................................................|

...................................................Deco 1

..........................................................| 

.....................................................switch

...................|.......................|..................|....................|

..............Deco 2............Deco 3.........Deco 4..........Deco 5

..................X

..............Deco 6

But i can't get this fixed...

Deco's optimization creates the following network

...................................................................Modem

.........................................................................|

....................................................................Deco 1

........................................................................X 

....................................................................Deco 2

..........................................................| ................................X

.....................................................switch..........................Deco 6

.......................|.......................|...................|

...................Deco 3............Deco 4.........Deco 5

The problem now is, that deco 2 got bad wireless connection, and sends it to the whole system. for me its important that all deco's except 6 are cabled.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Router modus Star network doesn't work optimal.-Solution
2022-12-12 16:19:52 - last edited 2022-12-12 16:33:40

@LeonardHeul 

I had conversation on this forum on similar issue, and with M9 Plus. One of Satellite Deco would connect wirelessly to Main Deco, when in fact it has Ethernet connection to switch. Similar network layout as yours.

After extensive troubleshooting the person who raised that issue has found the Ethernet cable between switch and Main Deco got accidentally disconnected. As a result, there was in fact no Ethernet link between switch and Main Deco.

What happened is one of Satellite Decos established WiFi link to Main Deco, and all other wired Satellite Deco and everything else wired to the switch started to pass network traffic through the switch to that Satellite Deco. 

Call it Deco mesh network resiliency. Took a while to figure where the problem is. 

I recommend you check and double check that Ethernet cable between the switch and Main Deco is properly plugged on both ends. If it does, the next step would be to replace that Ethernet cable and see if that fixed the issue.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Router modus Star network doesn't work optimal.-Solution
2022-12-12 16:19:52 - last edited 2022-12-12 16:33:40

@LeonardHeul 

I had conversation on this forum on similar issue, and with M9 Plus. One of Satellite Deco would connect wirelessly to Main Deco, when in fact it has Ethernet connection to switch. Similar network layout as yours.

After extensive troubleshooting the person who raised that issue has found the Ethernet cable between switch and Main Deco got accidentally disconnected. As a result, there was in fact no Ethernet link between switch and Main Deco.

What happened is one of Satellite Decos established WiFi link to Main Deco, and all other wired Satellite Deco and everything else wired to the switch started to pass network traffic through the switch to that Satellite Deco. 

Call it Deco mesh network resiliency. Took a while to figure where the problem is. 

I recommend you check and double check that Ethernet cable between the switch and Main Deco is properly plugged on both ends. If it does, the next step would be to replace that Ethernet cable and see if that fixed the issue.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Router modus Star network doesn't work optimal.
2022-12-12 16:23:02

@Alexandre. 

Thank you for your quick response. Will follow your tips!!

Options
Re:Router modus Star network doesn't work optimal.
2022-12-12 16:29:34

@Alexandre. 

I found out that the cable from the first deco to switch didn't work. I directly replaced it by a working cable. Right now network works as it should! Thank your for clarifying. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 365

Replies: 3

Related Articles