guest network not isolated from main network in AP modus

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-21 08:39:32
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.6

Hi,

I have connected the main deco with wire to a switch where that switchport is in a vlan. The vlan configuration of the switch is to let all traffic go to the other vlan's. However on the deco there are 2 SSID's that is off the main wifi and guest wifi, guest wifi is configured on the deco to not allow traffic to the home network.

I connect a laptop to the guest ssid and noticed that i can reach devices on the other vlan's while on the deco the geust network is seperated / isolated from the main ssid?

In this forum there are several posts that this is only when Deco's are in router mode but in the next firmware also in AP mode, these posts are from 2019 so i believe there must be a solution for this now?

Options
2 Reply
Re:guest network not isolated from main network in AP modus
2023-02-22 17:15:23

@surfer1 As far as I understand the current capabilities, when in AP mode, the Guest and the Main Wi-Fi are in fact the same underlying network ( say 10.0.0.0/24).

A recent update allows for the Guest network to toggle Allow Local Access On/Off, this means if the toggle is off even though a device in the Main WIFI and a device is on the same network segment (say 10.0.0.10/24 for the device in the Main network and 10.0.0.20/24 for the device in the Guest network) the Deco unit will block any request from the device on the Guest Wi-Fi for the local network (10.0.0.0/24) except if directed to the Gateway/Router (let's say the gateway/router is 10.0.0.1/24). If the toggle is on, it is the same as being connected to the Main Wi-Fi.

Options
Re:guest network not isolated from main network in AP modus
2023-02-23 07:59:18

@surfer1 

Hi, under AP mode, the guest network and main SSIDs are no longer separated by VLAN. They are separated via Access control and guest SSID devices are only allowed to access the network gateway.

Best regards.

Options