Archer C80 wifi router WAN port issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-13 12:06:52 - last edited 2022-12-13 12:13:50
Model: Archer C80  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.6 Build 200628 Rel.56565n(4555)

So I realized when I connect a LAN cable to the WAN port of my archer c80 it doesn't get any internet but when I change its operation mode to access point and then change the connection from the WAN port to one of the 4 LAN ports its starts getting internet but then disconnects from time to time. Also from the  "Archer C80" tab of the network map page of the management page of the router, when connected to the WAN port it doesn't even indicate that a cable is connected. Please what do you think may be the cause and how can I fix it? Thank you.

Options
8 Reply
Re:Archer C80 wifi router WAN port issue
2022-12-13 13:45:16 - last edited 2022-12-13 13:48:43

@eddy989 

Hi,

What about the "Internet" LED? (the rightmost one on the front panel of the C80, indicated by a globe with satellite pictogram)

Does it light up in orange or green color when the C80's WAN port is connected or is it completely off?

In case the "Internet" LED is off, then try to get another Ethernet cable to connect the WAN port and test again if the LED come on or not.

If still no success, then connect the WAN port of the C80 to another Ethernet port of another device and check again if the LED comes on or not. (if you don't have another device with Ethernet port, then you can also just loop a cable from one of the C80's LAN ports to the C80's WAN port)

Options
2022-12-14 09:04:24 - last edited 2022-12-14 09:06:58

@woozle well I noticed when connected to any of the LAN ports and in access point operation mode, the internet LED sometimes comes orange but after I power cycle it stays off, but I still get internet, haven't tried the loop yet though. But if I try the loop and the LED doesn't come on or the WAN indicator on the management page "archer c80" tab doesn't indicate then what do you suggest I do then?

Options
2022-12-14 13:13:06

@eddy989 

You can try changing the ethernet cable that goes into C80 with a good one of Cat5e/6.

Sometimes these issues are connected with bad cabling. In AP mode normally you should use C80 WAN port.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-12-14 15:50:03

@eddy989 

Like terziyski said, you should test it with at least one more (known-good) cable before any conclusions can be made.

If the Internet LED always stays dark when you are connected via the WAN port, even when paired with another cable or device, then the WAN port may be faulty and you should check if your C80 is still under warranty.

Options
2022-12-15 10:36:14

@woozle my thoughts exactly, tried the loop with two other cables and another TP-Link router( though a lower model), and the cables worked fine with the other router but not with my c80, so I'm now quite sure the WAN port is faulty. Need to go check the warranty and get it fixed if I'm still under warranty. I think I still am though because it's been just about 3/4 months since I got this c80. Thanks for all the support guys yesyes

QUESTION... can frequent power fluctuations and trip off/on cause this current fault to the WAN port? I'm based in a country where that is quite normal......laugh

Options
2022-12-15 23:00:41

@eddy989 

Electronic devices for household use should be designed so that they are able to withstand repeated power off/on cycles, even if it's a type of device that most users will have powered on continuously. 

However, if the mains voltage fluctuated to higher-than-normal levels that could certainly be a problem, but even then I would expect to router's power adapter to be the first thing that breaks.

Options
2022-12-16 07:29:17

@woozle true, thanks a lot for the support was truly helpful. by the way how do i check the warranty on my device or is that specific to the vendor i bought it from?

Options
2022-12-16 15:51:00

@eddy989 

Normally the warranty period is defined by the law of the country you live in and it starts at the date that is printed on the proof of purchase (i.e. receipt).

In most countries the vendor who sold the product is responsible for fulfilling warranty claims.

Some manufacturers also offer an extended warranty (or even "lifetime" warranty) for certain products, but I doubt that is the case here.

Options