Mesh Technology, disable or enable for IoT Devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-16 10:15:54
Tags: #Roaming #Access Point Mode #Mesh Technology
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.0

Hey,

I've been using the M4 for a long time and installed (no joke) atleast a 100 of them.

The one thing I'm not sure about is if i should enable or disable the Mesh Technology option for IoT devices.

Whether I enable or disable it, most devices will be connected to the closest DECO and there's always a few who just take the one just a bit further.

I don't think it makes a difference, but I'd like to hear more people's experiences and feedback.

I've been running with Mesh disabled on some and enabled for other without noticing.

With kind regards,

Thijs

Options
4 Reply
Re:Mesh Technology, disable or enable for IoT Devices
2022-12-16 23:20:31

@Thijsvu 

From my experience 90% of the IOT devices out there dont support the mesh option.    IOT is generally older poorer hardware and simply wont give any benefit to enabling this, however as it does not harm... i do enable it

Newer IOT devices are starting to use it, the Alexa Show 10 for example seems to roam well on mesh...

Options
2022-12-17 10:21:30

@Philbert 

I know a lot of IoT hardware doesn't support it, that's why i was wondering if it has an influence on efficiency.

But i guess it doesn't have an impact then.

Options
2022-12-17 17:19:46

@Thijsvu 

Apologies perhaps my answer was confuddled

however as it does not harm... i do enable it

Newer IOT devices are starting to use it, the Alexa Show 10 for example seems to roam well on mesh...

In better english, it appears to cause no harm or disadvantage to have it enabled, some newer devices even support it so imho just set it enabled.

Options
2022-12-20 12:55:33

@Thijsvu 

Most devices will be connected to the closest DECO and there's always a few who just take the one just a bit further.

I noticed this too!

It even happens while the connection becomes quite poor.

Wondering if switching off mesh will improve the performance.

Other problem I already mentioned here is that some of my WiFi devices are shown in the app as 'ethernet'.

So I cannot change the mesh settings there.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1026

Replies: 4

Tags

Related Articles