X55 after firmware update has bad performance

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-29 20:26:18
Model: Deco X55  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.10 build 20221102 Rel 66085

I made the mistake of updating the firmware in my X55 system yesterday, and now performance has gotten really weird.   Most of my devices (I have a lot) seem to be connecting ok, but my primary machines, an Apple MacBook Air M2 and a iPad (9th generation) are showing horrible performance.

My network bandwidth into the house is nominally 1.2Gbps.    Before the update, my MacBook would generally get 800+ Mbps, and the iPad would get 400 Mbps or so.   Now they're both getting around 50-100 kbps.   Yes, that's Kilobits per second.   Connections are unreliable; sometimes they fail to connect, sometimes they drop, etc.  I've been unable to connect to a mail server via it's external name from inside the network.   I've rebooted both devices, and that didn't help.   I've waited over 12 hours in case it was some sort of DHCP issue, but that didn't help.

One weird thing is that if I switch them to the Guest network, their performance is near normal, showing ~550 Mbps on the MacBook, and 300+ on the iPad.   Switching back to the main network causes the performance to drop off again.   So it's clearly not my ISP.    I've run the "network optimization" step, but that had no visible effect.

Other devices on the network are showing reasonable performance, it seems to be mainly these two that are screwed up.   My iPhone 12, for instance, gets ~400Mbps over the WiFi.

The satellite Deco's have shown some weird behavior.    Usually they're showing a solid green LED, but occassiionally they'll go flashing Red for a bit, then back to green.

Is there a way to rollback to a previous firmware version?   Or some hidden way to get more diagnostics from the app?

I'm about ready to sell this, and never come back to TP-Link.   This is not the first problem I've had with these devices (previously there were LED issues, but that's a separate thing).

Options
4 Reply
Re:X55 after firmware update has bad performance
2022-12-30 07:01:19

@Kolding 

Hi, Thank you very much for your feedback.

Please refer to the following suggestions to see whether any of them help:

1. please turn off "Mesh Technology" for Apple MacBook Air M2 and iPad on the Deco APP.

2. set these two devices into high priority.

3. If only leaving the main Deco X55, would there be any difference in the speed of the MacBook and iPad?

By the way, May I know the current Apple OS on the MacBook and iPad?

As for the firmware downgrade, we might need to run a firmware recovery to download the firmware from 1.1.0 to 1.0.8.

I hope you could wait for a while before downgrading the firmware back to the stock one.

Thanks a lot.

Wait for your reply.

Best regards.

Options
2022-12-30 10:45:19

@David-TP 

I've tried turning off mesh and setting high priority. Things get a little better, sometimes I see high bandwidth, but not always. Connections to external websites remain unsteady. Sometimes I can open a site, other times I can't. Connections will sometimes work and sometimes not. For instance Speedtest often throws a error on the iPad app. 

the deco app won't let me set high priority for the MacBook. Keeps saying "can't save configuration",

My machines are running the latest software. iPad os 16.2 and the MacBook has the most recent version of macOS Ventura (13.2 I think). 

how do I do a firmware rollback?

Options
2023-01-04 17:03:35

@David-TP So, no updates?   How do I roll the firmware back?   And if not, how do I get a refund?  Because frankly, this thing is pretty much worthless right now.

Options
2023-01-08 00:13:18

@David-TP Thanks for you help.  It's been, well, nonexistent.  I've been sitting here with a fairly worthless system, which won't connect reasonably to some of my machines, and one of the satellites now is completely bricked, just going to yellow.   Guess I'll be getting a new mesh, and not a TP-Link one. 

Options