Votes

static IPv6 option?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

static IPv6 option?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
static IPv6 option?
static IPv6 option?
2023-01-02 18:21:20
Tags: #IPv6
Model: Deco X50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0

hello there, 

my ISP provides a static IPv6 subnet /56, but there is no option to set up a static IPv6 subnet in my X50, fw1.1.0, router mode

here are IPv6 setup guidelines for TP-Link routers (in a different location but with the same ISP, i was able to setup a VR1210v to provide IPv6 correctly as per these guidelines)

(please google "pianetafibra IPv6", 1st result, link not allowed...)  (sorry, available in italian language only)

is this feature on the radar? all other X50 features are working fine with the latest firmware update.

thanks

Options
1 Reply
Re:static IPv6 option?
2023-03-16 16:05:23 - last edited 2023-03-16 16:41:06

@OperationOne 

To get your network neat and clean with IPv6 you need a head IPv6 router that claims your  /56 from your ISP on the outer side (surely through DHCP6, see below).

Then on this IPv6 router on the inner side, the DHCP6 server shall be activated with DHCP6-PD option activated and tuned. PD is for prefix delegation.

I suggest you to start to delegate sub-network based on /64 slices. You'll be allowed to use 256 subnetworks. Routes declaration will then be fully automatic.

There's basically no need of static routes with IPv6 (especially if you've  got one of these d*mn*d ISPs who uses to change your IPv6 prefix randomly !).

Setting subnet with IPv6 works right out of the box and is a basic feature ; a feature which is fully plug-n-play. DHCP6 is mainly designed for routers.

Your ISP has a good documentation over this. I'm sorry but i just read the pfsense one which is detailed enough. I don't read italian but it is quite easy to follow.

The main question is : does your deco in router mode embeds DHCPv6 client tuned do perform prefix delegation acquisition as any IPv6 router do ? (IPv6 setup is quite obscure in the HMI).

Then SLAAC (RA server)  by a deco is really sufficient to push your IPv6 subnet and gateways  to your devices as automatically as it could be imagined.

The second main question is : is the SLAAC server that provides announcement of routers on your subnetwork activated on your master deco in router mode by TP-link and update itself according to the upstream PD ?

Note : a master deco could be an IPv6 head router is all this is activated. And if the deco can do PD for itself by reserving one subnetwork. (depending on TP-link implementation of IPv6 router mode within this master deco).

I didn't try that on my own network, i stayed with AP mode : prefix delegation is performed by my own router. I need a H24 IPv6 network : i can't break it for now. But anyway subneting with IPv6 is peaceful compared to the hell of IPv4 (far from NAT and static routes for example) : you just have to align your subnets routers behind the head router. in IPv6 and fire them all at once.

So as conclusion : give a try to prefix delegation in cascade to perform subneting using a master deco as subnet router behind your master one.

Regards,

Eric.

Options

Information

Helpful: 5

Views: 388

Replies: 1

Voters 4

Tags