Poor wi-fi signal and network disruption

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-08 09:35:38
Model: Deco X73-DSL  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.5 Build 20211231 Rel. 42213

Assuming V1 due to EU/1.0 printed on base of unit.

Wanted to update x20-dsl with something that had more coverage to reduce weak points in signal and spotted this. Thought the x20-dsl could be used on the other side of the house to improve signal on that end and link PS4, TV, etc in via ethernet ports.

Added x73-dsl to the network. Checked for updates. Changed to main Deco and plugged into FTTP. 

Immediately noticed drastic decrease in signal. In app all satellite Deco units can't be seen for varying lengths of time (seconds to minutes, all retain green lights). No internet access at these times apart from Ethernet connections. Diagnostics in app showing poor signal.

Tried rebooting unit and network. Changed back to x20-dsl as main and removed x73-dsl. Steady, stable signal.

Reset x73-dsl (3 times now) and reconnected as satellite. This unit is intermittently showing in app as not seen (though not bringing down whole network now).

Purchased from TP-Link store through Amazon UK.

Anyone have any suggestions or am I best off just returning it as faulty?

For the record, any help greatly appreciated.

Bill

Options
3 Reply
Re:Poor wi-fi signal and network disruption
2023-01-09 17:23:44

Just an update.

Deleted the network. Reset all devices (x73-dsl, x20- DSL, 2 X x20).  

Plugged each one in separately when creating new network starting with x73-dsl as wi-fi router. Every other unit took a few attempts to be seen when adding to the network.

Almost completely lost wi-fi connection in the next room. Extremely slow. Using Android phone and showing in app as connected with strong signal to 5ghz. Whole network intermittently dropping for varying periods of a few seconds, never quite reached a full minute. All units still showing as green during connection difficulties.

Swapped x20-dsl in as main Deco. Coverage throughout house improved. X73-dsl still intermittently not being seen in app (light still green). Disconnected from all ethernet connections. Unit seems a bit more stable with nothing connected to it.

So, anyone have any other ideas for me to try?

Options
2023-01-11 11:43:01

@Bill-K. Thank you very much for the update.

I might need to follow up on your case via email later and could you please help me check the following details:

1. May I know your internet service provider?

2. When you said "X73-DSL still intermittently not being seen in the app", do you mean Deco APP reported Deco X73-DSL offline, or it no longer shows up at a satellite node on the network map?

3. How many online clients do you have and would there be a lot of smart home devices?

--Did the disconnection randomly happen to all mobile devices or some specific devices?

Please also refer to the suggestions here to turn off fast roaming and Mesh Technology:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/kb/detail/412552 (case 3)

Best regards.

Options
2023-01-26 08:52:34

@David-TP 

Hello, I may have already advised this via email but...

1. ISP is Talktalk 2. unit showing as can't be found by the app normally for short periods of time before being found again 3. Normally only about 12 online clients at any time, no smart home devices as yet. 4. All devices affected. Fast roaming not used and mesh turned off for items that don't move around the house (speakers, PS4, etc.)

Replacement unit received, installed as satellite only and started doing same thing. Debug firmware installed and stability marginally improved, but network still affected. Doesn't matter if straight wi-fi or ethernet backhaul used. No unit EVER stops showing as green. Wi-fi access affected only, ethernet connections still work fine.

I've removed the X73-DSL again due to this problem and can only think at this point to return it for a refund.

I'll wait a few days for a response as it's perfect to get it working, but it needs to be stable and have a suitable range.

Regards, Bill

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 312

Replies: 3