Deco M4 main unit keeps rebooting.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-11 22:17:39
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.0.6 Build 20220823 Rel. 74548

I've had the system for 1 week now and about 3 days ago the problems started.

First thing first, the topology is:
1. M4 connected to modem in the living room (ground floor, this is the main deco).
2. M4 connected to the main deco via Gigabit Ethernet in the office (1st floor)
3. M4 connected to the office via wifi in the bathroom (1st floor). (this one is just for extending the signal to the rest of the house, and is important that it's connected to office because the signal from main is barely existent.

The problem:
We are working remotely and since we've started using more than 10 devices there have been frequent connection drop-outs.
As the drop-out happens the office deco is blinking red. I get to the main deco downstairs to check it and it has a yellow light which then turns to white and after that the internet starts working again.
While that is happening, the modem is working just fine, i also had no issue prior with the previous wifi router (Linksys EA6900), problems only started since getting the Deco units.
Another thing that often occurs after this happens is that the bathroom Deco connects to the main one which makes it have a horrible connection and it won't connect back to office one by itself or even when optimizing network, it only connects back to the office Deco when i reset it by removing power.

At first It seemed that the problem happens when there is much load on the main deco from multiple devices at the same time (500Mbps connection to the internet), but it has happened also when only my work laptop + 2 phones were used.

I've read that enabling "Fast Roaming" could cause this so i've disabled that but the issue persists. I don't know what else i could try at this point. Making the Mesh AP only (No router) is not an option since we need it to control the little one's internet time.

There is also something wrong with the data usage statistics, 4 devices are reporting 16777216TB which is just wrong, no way i could have consumed 16EB in a week, none the less on a printer, an IP camera and a robo-vacuum.

Thanks for any input.

File:
Screenshot_20230111-084644_Deco.jpgDownload
Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco M4 main unit keeps rebooting.
2023-01-12 01:37:15

@Mrasko 

Hi, welcome to the community.

I think you could try to install the beta firmware here:

It allows customizing the signal source of satellite Deco:

Deco M4(V4) 1.1.0

Wait for your reply.

Best regards.

Options
2023-01-12 10:59:35 - last edited 2023-01-12 11:03:58

Thanks David, i'll give that a shot if it doesn't void the warranty?

Having a fixed signal source would be nice, but would it help at all with the issue that i'm having with main deco dropping connection?

It happened today at 1AM again when only the printer, camera, vacuum and my phone were connected and i was just doing light browsing.
And then again at 10:10 AM while i was on a meeting, more devices were connected at that time.
I recorded it that time with my phone when it was already at yellow light... it  was yellow for a while, then jumped to solid red for 10 seconds and then to white.
I wasn't able to capture the footage of what happens exactly at the moment that internet connection is lost as the IP camera is not sensitive enough to detect difference in white/yellow led.

Best regards, Marko

Options
2023-01-13 09:40:55

@Mrasko 

Hi, it will not avoid the warranty.

Previously, I think maybe the heavy traffic load caused the main Deco to randomly rebooting. But if it rebooted again even with light browsing, the situation might be a little bit. 

The beta firmware would help with the signal source selection and usage data spike in Monthly reports. I could not guarantee it will fix the issue but it's worth a try.

I will also follow up on your case via email later in case the beta firmware did not help and I need further assistance from the senior engineers.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2023-01-13 13:10:38

@David-TP 

Hi, thanks for your message.

I've gone ahead and did the upgrade.
After the upgrade the Bathroom M4 connected to the Main one again.
I've changed the connection preference in the app to connect to Office instead and after a couple of minutes it finally changed connection so that's great.

When it comes to the dropouts, while doing the upgrade, I've noticed that on the web interface it's possible to view and save the logs.
Would these be beneficial for diagnostics the next time a dropout occurs?

Thank for you email, i'll reply with comments if i find any issues with the beta version.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 375

Replies: 3