homeshield not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

homeshield not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
homeshield not working
homeshield not working
2023-01-21 01:17:22 - last edited 2023-01-21 01:19:01
Tags: #Parental Control #Homeshield
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.13

my tplink x60 homeshield  is useless cant detect viruses and malwares when I test it even I already subscribe to their "pro" version and the parental control is not working cant filter the content I dont want to browse.

Options
9 Reply
Re:homeshield not working
2023-01-28 06:51:53

@JxG Hi, Thank you very much for the feedback.

Later I would like to forward your case to the senior engineers. Could you please provide more details about how you test the viruses and malware features?

And what are the websites that you wish to block?

If possible, you could send an email to support.forum@tp-link.com with some logs and screenshots.

Wait for your reply.

Best regards.

Options
2023-02-04 17:10:45

@David-TP I have an Deco X-50 with payed for HomeShield Pro activated since begin januari 2023. If I download the Eicar-Testvirus (eicar website) then the testvirus can be downloaded to my iPhone. This should  not be happening. The virus should be intercepted at routerlevel. 

also, on the network tab of Deco App, Webdetection, IoT-detection all say that there are no records. So in more than a month time, Home Sheila Pro has not detected even a phishing link or scan or something, and I have 25 devices in my network.  

this cant be good. I would like to continue with HomeShield Pro as a payed service, but only if it works. 

what is going on here? 

thank you. 

regards

jaap 

Options
2023-02-06 08:24:42

@JanRekenaar 

Hi, Thanks for the update.

I would like to forward your case to the senior engineers for further assistance. Please check whether you have got an email from me.

Best regards.

Options
2023-02-06 08:55:02

@David-TP I did not recieve an e-mail. But I will post an update here with some additional image. In this Image, my network is protected for 29 days an has 0  Webdetections. 

Options
2023-02-07 02:36:43

@JanRekenaar 

Hi, Thank you very much for your update.

I think I might make a mistake and I created an email for JxG. But I got your email instead. Thank you very much.

After checking with senior engineers, it seems like the eicar anti-malware software itself is not a malicious object and does not contain executable code for your device. So it could pass the firewall to be downloaded. After downloading, you need to run anti-virus software to detect it as a virus. Then it will trigger the antivirus alters and be identified as a threat.

So I wonder after running this software, will you see any attacking records under network security?

Thanks a lot.

Wait for your reply.

Best regards.

Options
2023-02-07 14:33:37

@David-TP I did what you asked. I downloaded Eicar and end point virus protection in my PC prevented the virus. But in de Deco app there are no warnings in the netwerk tab. Nothing. 

Options
2023-02-07 14:52:53 - last edited 2023-02-07 14:54:16

@David-TP  so. HoneShieldPro is activated. Runs for 30 days. Didn’t stop anything. Not even a cookie warning or scam. Webprotection does not do anything. And eicar virus is not being stopped, as where bitdefender did stop it. What can you do for me? If HomeShield Pro is not doing anything than I might aswell turn it off.

Options
2023-02-09 06:04:13

@JanRekenaar  I cancelled my subscription as it had no value for me personally. I had the same issue as you above and the enhanced reporting was not accurate. Adding up the data usage on the reports was no where close to the monthly usage recorded by the router. My ISP data usage matched that shown by the router. The reports were totally inaccurate. So save some pennies and just cancel your subscription. 

Options
2023-02-09 07:02:43

@John_k_72 thank you for taking the time to enlighten me with your experiences. I came to this conclusion aswell. I stopped my payed subscription for HomeShield Pro. 

I had e-mail contact with engineers from TP-Link.  I post this here so it can be of use for other people who are struggling with this issue: 

TP-Link: "Please note that the test file is downloaded to the PC, not to Deco. Deco cannot actively scan the files of the PC and detect whether there is a virus, so there is no prompt on the Deco APP. In addition, generally only when there is an attack in your network, Deco will detect the attack" 

I guess that HomeShield should defect threats coming from modem to Deco-router at router-level, and thuss prevent the threat from travelling to enpoints. That is the whole idea of router security. 

Since this is clearly not the case, HomeShield in this form is not of any use for me. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 6

Views: 663

Replies: 11

Tags

Related Articles