Access requests - advice please

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-31 17:50:20 - last edited 2023-02-01 02:13:52
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.13 Build 20220805 Rel. 71570

Please note I cannot find what Hardware version we have anywhere in documentation or within the app.  We purchased an AX 5400 box with 3 Deco X60 devices this week and an AX3000 box with 1 further device which arrived today.  So I just opted for V7 as that is presumably the latest one.

Installation was easy straight out of the box and the linking of the devices very simple.  It's too early to say that it is better than what we had previously (a BT (formerly British Telecom) solution) but it is certainly not worse.  Our reason for purchasing was to have better parental controls over our wi-fi network as our kids get older and technology advances.  Both children (13 and 11) have android mobile devices and we have successfully used the Family Link app on those over the last year or so that the eldest and then the youngest got their telephones.

However we found that once their mobiles "turned" off due to bed times or time limits set in Family Link they would then use Chromebooks supplied from their schools (over which we have zero access or control as they belong to the local education authority) or they would use the smart televisions.  This means that they can spend longer online than we felt was reasonable hence we evaluated a few options on the market and opted for TP Link.

So far for most devices we do not have any issues.  My telephone, my work telephone, my work laptop, my wife's laptop and telephone, all work with no issue.  I set up a profile for each child and a third for "Av devices" which includes the two televisions and the Xbox.  With the children's mobile phones I get repeated access requests for:
" connectivitycheck(DOT)gstatic(DOT)com "

without the spaces that I put in.  This is something to do with Google and I have decided to try and allow it for now at least. But my question is why do I keep getting the same request, and nothing else?  I had it 3 or 4 times and we only started the system on Sunday.

Also both of them have said that the "wi-fi isn't working properly" for them, so they are switching to mobile data in order to use WhatsApp which we do allow (all of their sports clubs use it).  Is this because WhatsApp is blocked based upon their ages?  If that is so then how would I change it to allow that?  We do not allow our youngest to access TiKTok as that has a 13 rating in the UK, but that is another one that may be blocked I understand.

Thanks in advance for any help, hope to get it working and not have them using up their mobile data and then not being able to use devices during hours we think are reasonable etc.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Access requests - advice please
2023-02-01 02:43:06

@MichaelD1 

Welcome to the community.

" connectivitycheck.gstatic.com"  is usually used by Chrome and Android devices to check if a user has internet access to the network they are connected to. I think internet online checking is a continuous process and it will not just check once.

As for WhatsApp, If it is blocked by the default filter Content under the Age group, you might find it in the profile insight history. So far parental control does not allow manually adding a whitelist, if it is indeed blocked by this age, you might need to remove the related content, Media for example from the "Filter Content", then add Tiktok under the "Blocked Websites".

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2023-02-01 16:57:01

Thank you  @David-TP !

It was the online communication checkbox, rather than media, that was blocking WhatsApp so I have given them both that and they can keep up with their football practice and match info etc. But your answer led me to the right place to fix it.

A whitelist could be a good feature to add in as categorisation may make it harder for parents to strike a balance sometimes.

Regards,

Michael

Options
2023-02-02 16:42:22

@MichaelD1 FYI, this how you can find the hardware version:

How to find the hardware version on a TP-Link device

Just a M4 (2-pack) user who regrets buying it
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 244