Setting VLan for Deco WiFi when Deco is in AP mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-19 07:26:15
Model: Deco S4   ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.2 Build 20230210 Rel.62992

i have two different VLANs setup for/on a single port (Port3) of the ER605 router, in standalone mode. one VLAN is for the primary wifi network and the other is for the guest wifi network. i have put my Deco into AP mode, and the router can see separate IP addresses from the Deco unit for when my test device connects to the primary vs guest networks, along with connecting to the internet just fine. that said, both networks are being assigned IP addresses from the primary VLAN. i have found other documentation where the menu shows a wireless box, but my router does not. even when i put the Deco into Router mode, i cannot specify an IP range, not to mention that the resources on the wifi network become unavailable from the wired network.

There are 10 types of people in this world, the ones who understand binary and the ones who don't.
Options
2 Reply
Re:Setting VLan for Deco WiFi when Deco is in AP mode
2023-02-20 11:57:23

@Schwoby 

Hi, welcome to the community.

The guest network and main network are no longer separated by VLAN tags when Deco is in AP mode. 

Since you already have ER605, Omada Access Points would be a better choice for you, such as the study case shared here:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/1002/

https://www.tp-link.com/en/business-networking/case-study/?type=networking

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
Re:Setting VLan for Deco WiFi when Deco is in AP mode
2023-02-22 07:53:16

@David-TP 

i do already have the Deco units, too. what i'm seeing and hearing is that the Deco units are not intelligent enough to do actual network setups with. they will turn on and talk with each other and share a connection with clients, but are (highly) limited in anything beyond that ability.

thank you for sharing the article about the Omada Access Points, it gives me something to think about for future upgrading. for now, i think i will activate the guest network that my IoT wireless system, which i have been able to put on a different VLAN, has available.

There are 10 types of people in this world, the ones who understand binary and the ones who don't.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 595

Replies: 2