Home network with internet access - multiple devices broadcasting same WiFi network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Home network with internet access - multiple devices broadcasting same WiFi network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-22 12:34:19
Model: Archer C80  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.12.1 Build 221212 Rel.65938n(4555)

Hi,

I build a simple network based on multiple TP-Link devices. My main router is Archer C80 which receives internet signal from my ISP. Then I have three Archer C64 units in satellite mode that are connected to Archer C80 via Ethernet cable. Am I correct that whatever Wi-Fi network main router is broadcasting, the satellite routers will also broadcast? So they would act as extenders but connected via Ethernet ports to the main router? I am using EasyMesh features. I wanted to make sure I am not creating multiple WiFi networks with the same SSID and by that create issues with SmartConnect or something.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Home network with internet access - multiple devices broadcasting same WiFi network
2023-02-22 12:44:02 - last edited 2023-02-22 13:05:33

@Sebastianogo 

Yes, that's correct. If you're are using C80 and C64 then you should be fine building an EasyMesh network with an ethernet backhaul. - check this thread for details.

That means you're not creating multiple wireless networks with the same SSID, but a mesh network with a single SSID.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:Home network with internet access - multiple devices broadcasting same WiFi network
2023-02-22 13:39:52

@terziyski Perfect. Thanks for the reply. I was also using RE315 but when it was in extender mode while plugged to C80 via Ethernet - it was creating issues with the network. Changing it to AP mode will create new Wifi network, correct?

Options
2023-02-22 14:11:34

@Sebastianogo 

Yes, RE315 is not an EasyMesh compatible RE. The mesh network with an ethernet backhaul you expect, should comprise only devices that support it.

These are C80 and C64 in your case. Any RE or wireless router that doesn't support EasyMesh won't join this mesh network and will create an additional Wi-Fi network.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-02-22 14:15:18

@terziyski cool. So it was a right choice to upgrade to C64s around my property. Still have one old C6 v2 which is refusing to connect with 1000 Mb/s speed. Might be due to the distance 

Options
2023-02-22 14:19:08 - last edited 2023-02-22 16:20:50

@Sebastianogo 

Yes, C64 is a pretty decent device with a good price/performance ratio.

Usually the issue with C6 v2 is due to a network cable quality (minimum Cat5E/6 is required) or bad RJ-45 crimping - check this thread and this troubleshooting guide.

Options
2023-02-22 14:25:11

@terziyski that was my approach. I will take it home and try to connect directly to router using short cat 5e cable. Either way it will be replaced with c64 unit too

Options
2023-02-22 17:07:45 - last edited 2023-02-22 17:09:12

Got it figured out, thanks for the hint @terziyski . One of the RJ-45 connectors somehow lost one blade. I crimped a new one and got 1000 Mb/s ;)

Options