Modem for new tp-link architechure

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-04 00:29:01

I'm looking to start my tp-link journey.

I've purchased the TP-Link Omada Hardware Controller (OC200) TP-Link ER605,  Multi-WAN Wired VPN Router (ER605), TP-Link EAP670 & TP-Link Jetstream TL-SG2210MP switch.

What would be the best option for a modem with this configuration - needs to be DSL for NBN connection to iiNet.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Modem for new tp-link architechure
2023-03-07 21:48:53

@MichaelSandall 

Hey

As you are using the ER605, in reality any modem would work for you as its just going to forward the traffic to the ER605.   Did your ISP provide one for you? 

Also you may be better looking / posting on the business forums as the Omada range is a business product, its rarely mentioned or known on the home forums

Options
2023-03-09 00:50:16

@Philbert Thanks for your reply.

I am with iiNet and several years ago purchased the ASUS DSL-AC68U wifi modem/router.

I am building my home automation system with Homeassistant and last year purchased the TP-Link TL-SG2210MP | Jetstream 10 Port Gigabit Smart Managed PoE and 2 x TP-Link EAP670. This combination has been working well until a couple of months ago when I regularly was getting the ASUS disconnecting from the NBN with the only solutoin to re-boot the ASUS.

I figured it probably time to replace the ASUS so also decided to complete the TP-Link setup properly and I purchased the TP-Link Omada Hardware Controller (OC200) & TP-Link ER605 | Multi-WAN Wired VPN Router (ER605) - expecting these to arrive this week.

Given, I believe the root cause to my intermittent NBN disconnects is the ASUS modem I was looking for a suitable replacement - What would be the best TP-Link solution to replace the ASUS unit?

Regards,

Michael

Options
2023-03-09 23:02:37

@MichaelSandall 

TP Link dont have a Modem only device, so you would need to go for a Modem Router and then disable the WiFi (as it wont roam with the Omada).    If your internet speed isnt super fast (sub 100mbps) then honestly any of the DSL Modem Routers would work for you, personally i would just go for the cheapest as its only serving internet for you.

Disable WiFi, plug into the ER605 and good to go!

Options
2023-03-18 02:39:52

@Philbert thanks for your comments. I am moving to the TP-Link range of products as I have recently been experiences where my ASUS DSL modem/router has been failing & the only fix is to re-boot the unit.

If I purchase the TP-LINK AC2100 VDSL/ADSL Wireless Modem Router and I just use it as a modem, can I still utilise the LAN ports on the AC2100 and will they appear in the Omada dashboard?

Regards,

Michael

Options
2023-03-19 00:17:24

@MichaelSandall 

Hey

Yes you cna just use it as a modem, that will be no issue

However as the AC2100 is outside the Omada network, (attached to the WAN port of the ER605) you can use the LAN ports, but they will be on a different subnet and wont appear on Omada.  Ideally the only thing connected to the AC2100 should be the ER605 WAN port.   You want to keep everything connected to the ER605 or an Omada switch

Options
2023-03-19 05:33:13

Philbert wrote

@MichaelSandall 

Hey

However as the AC2100 is outside the Omada network, (attached to the WAN port of the ER605) you can use the LAN ports, but they will be on a different subnet and wont appear on Omada.  Ideally the only thing connected to the AC2100 should be the ER605 WAN port.   You want to keep everything connected to the ER605 or an Omad

Philbert wrote

@MichaelSandall 

Hey

However as the AC2100 is outside the Omada network, (attached to the WAN port of the ER605) you can use the LAN ports, but they will be on a different subnet and wont appear on Omada.  Ideally the only thing connected to the AC2100 should be the ER605 WAN port.   You want to keep everything connected to the ER605 or an Omada switch

a switch

@Philbert 

Options
2023-03-19 05:34:00
Options