Deco s7, wired vs wirless for work VPN connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-07 16:43:57
Model: Deco S7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi

I work from home. Internet is via a 5g CPE mobile router. Wireless is turned off on the CPE mobile router and the deco mesh is connected to the router.

I used to have 3 Deco M9s, with one satellite in my home office. I then connected my work laptop to the Deco satellite via ethernet cable. Work VPN was stable, quick and rarely dropped out.

Unfortunately had to return the M9s as I had a unit fail. Replaced with S7s couple of weeks ago and repeated the same setup, i.e. satellite in my office and work laptop connected via ethernet. Since then work VPN would disconnect at least every hour, multiple times per day. Work IT ran lots of diagnostics and said it was my new mesh, i.e. the new M9s and suggested a wireless connection. Since going from ethernet to wireless the VPN has stayed connected perfectly.

Hope that all makes sense as my question is why would it start to work better for the VPN wireless vs wired? I'd always been told previously by various IT groups that for a work VPN, wired is much better. Is it possible that a setting was causing the disconnection when connected via ethernet?

Thanks in advance

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco s7, wired vs wirless for work VPN connection
2023-03-08 03:23:14

@bobdeco1 

Hi, Thanks for the feedback.

Maybe you could check whether there is a new Ethernet driver available for upgrade. It is also suggested to change to a new high-quality Ethernet cable between satellite S7 and Work PC.

If possible, you could try to temporarily unplug satellite Deco S7, and leave the main S7 only. Then compare the Ethernet and wireless connection stability from the main Deco S7.

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 417

Replies: 1

Related Articles