Powerline - prioritise one extender

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-11 18:58:01
Model: TL-WPA7617 KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I am starting this thread in case someone would know the answer.

I have 3 powerline extenders connected to the network in different rooms.

I noticed that the powerline speed gets split between the adapters even when only one is used by a device.

Just tried to download with the 3 extenders connected to the network, only one device downloading, and I was getting a speed of roughly 1.8 MB/s.

Turned off 2 adapters and the speed jumped to more than 4 MB/s. That's constant, I tried that a few times and I get the same result.

So the question is. Is it possible to maximize one extender when the other one are not used, or is that just not possible?

Feels like a bit of a waste of bandwidth when the extenders tries to communicate with the main even when they are not connected to any device. 

Thanks,

Options
2 Reply
Re:Powerline - prioritise one extender
2023-03-16 09:22:26

@AbriFu 

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Can I have the model number of all three powerline adapters?

Based on the following layout, 

If adapter #3 is just powered on with no clients connected, would you still get a split speed on adapter #2?

Wait for your reply.

Best regards.

Options
Re:Powerline - prioritise one extender
2023-03-16 18:24:57

@David-TP 

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. 

So my setup is one base extender TL-PA7017P powerline connected to the router, and 3 powerline extenders TL-WPA7617 connected in different rooms.

If I leave #1 and #2 on but turn off #3 + #4, the speed is where I should expect. Only if #2 and #3 are connected, but #3 doesn't have a device connected to it, the bandwidth is still split between both. It gets even worse when #4 is added even then that extender is not connected to anything.

Thanks.

Options