Powerline Wi-Fi Extender signal drops when Solar power generation spikes above 5000W.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Powerline Wi-Fi Extender signal drops when Solar power generation spikes above 5000W.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-13 12:36:44 - last edited 2023-04-04 06:44:58
Model: TL-WPA4220 KIT  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.1 Build 220613 Rel.6808 1n (6985)

Hi All

I installed a solar solution a few months ago and am using a Powerline Wi-Fi extender in the cottage on my property approximately 30 meters from the main house.   

Although slower than in the house, the connection is working fine until the solar power generation spikes over 5000W. Then the Wi-Fi speed drops to 1 or 2 Mbps or drops completely. 

Any suggestions on how I can solve this problem? Some suggestions I've seen is that I need to install a relay of some sorts but since I'm not an electrician, I wouldn't know where to put it :-) 

Please see my setup details below: 

Powerline Wi-Fi System Information.

Fiber Link: 100 Mbps (Telkom South Africa)

Router: TP-Link – Archer AX53, AX3000 Gigabit Wi-Fi 6 Router

Powerline Wi-Fi Extender: AV600 – TLWPA4221 Kit

• Distance between sender (TL-PA4010 3.0) and receiver(TL-WPA4220 5.0) approx. 40 Meters
  • Wi-Fi Speed at the receiver end approx. 20 Mbps Download, and 10 Mbps upload (Normally)
  • Wi-Fi Speed at the receiver end drops to 0 – 2 Mbps download, and 0 - 2 Mbps upload when solar panels generate 5000W or above. (This is the issue I am trying to solve)

Solar Installation

14 x 545W Canadian Solar panels (Maximum Generating Capacity 7630W)

1 X SUNSYNK 8.8kW Hybrid Inverter

1 X Felicity Solar 12.5kWH 48 Volt 250ah Lithium Ion Phosphate Battery

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Powerline Wi-Fi Extender signal drops when Solar power generation spikes above 5000W. -Solution
2023-03-31 14:08:04 - last edited 2023-04-04 06:44:58

@CBester Thank you for the reply David-TP
I checked everything and even replaced the breakers in the DB board but to no avail. It is an old house and I believe the quality of the power line to the cottage has deteriorated over time and therefore has a lot of electrical noise that interferes with the powerline extender's signal. 
I resorted to placing the powerline extender in the house at a point closest to the cottage which resulted in a faint signal in the cottage. I then moved the TP link  range extender I had in the middle of the house to the cottage and so far it is working fine. 

Thanks again

Chris 

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Powerline Wi-Fi Extender signal drops when Solar power generation spikes above 5000W.
2023-03-16 09:05:21

@CBester 

Hi, welcome to the community.

I think when the Solar power generation spikes above 5000W., it may generate a high amount of electrical noise and create an unstable voltage in your home powerline environment which might affect the powerline rate between 4010 and 4220.

For more details, please have a look at this link:

Can appliances affect the performance of Powerline products?

You could install the powerline utility to compare the powerline rate before and after Solar power generation reaches 5000W:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/tl-wpa4220-kit/#Utility

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
Re:Powerline Wi-Fi Extender signal drops when Solar power generation spikes above 5000W. -Solution
2023-03-31 14:08:04 - last edited 2023-04-04 06:44:58

@CBester Thank you for the reply David-TP
I checked everything and even replaced the breakers in the DB board but to no avail. It is an old house and I believe the quality of the power line to the cottage has deteriorated over time and therefore has a lot of electrical noise that interferes with the powerline extender's signal. 
I resorted to placing the powerline extender in the house at a point closest to the cottage which resulted in a faint signal in the cottage. I then moved the TP link  range extender I had in the middle of the house to the cottage and so far it is working fine. 

Thanks again

Chris 

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 313

Replies: 2