Which part of TL-WPA8631 Kit connects to the router, which part is the extender?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Which part of TL-WPA8631 Kit connects to the router, which part is the extender?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-14 18:48:20
Tags: #extender
Model: TL-WPA8631P KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

So I have the 2 parts, one with multiple ethernet sockets and one with a singular one

which one connects directly to the router to feed the powerline with network?

which one is the extender that my devices can connect to from a further distance?

I could probably figure it out in the near future when I play with them (just moved to a new apartment and I forgot the correct settings)

but I am asking ahead of time because I need to buy another extender and I am not sure what to buy, I want it to be of the same model that I already own (wifi+ethernet as one-mesh over powerline)

Thanks for the assist :)

Options
3 Reply
Re:Which part of TL-WPA8631 Kit connects to the router, which part is the extender?
2023-03-14 18:54:00

One of the main reasons I am even bothering with asking, is because when I am looking online for one of the 2 parts to buy

this possiblity comes up:

TP-Link TL-PA8010P

But it has only a single ethernet socket, which is super strange as I would assume that the other component with the multiple ethernet sockets

would be the one that I would be able to buy as additional extensions, but that is not the case

it is strange, as I would assume that the part that connects to the router would have a single input and that's it

and the part that can feed additional devices as extension would have multiple ports - but that part can not be bought alone, so I am very confused, as it is counter intuitive

Options
Re:Which part of TL-WPA8631 Kit connects to the router, which part is the extender?
2023-03-16 08:50:51

@AmazingMiki 

Hi, welcome to the community.

For the TL-WPA8631p kit, TL-PA8010P is the one that should be connected to the main router via Ethernet cable, the extender is the TL-WPA8631P.

Here "W" means wireless. Normally the wired-only adapter is used to connect to the main router.

For TL-PA8033P KIT, the kit has 

TL-PA8030P: 3 * Gigabit Ethernet Port, Power Socket
TL-PA8010P: 1 * Gigabit Ethernet Port, Power Socket

Both are wired adapters only and could be used to connect to the main router. If you have more wired clients like PC, Xbox, and NAS next to the main router, TL-PA8030P will be the master unit connected to the router

But if the PC, Xbox, and NAS are in a different room, TL-PA8030P should be the extender.

The wired adapter like 8010P usually is not sold individually but you could buy a single wireless adapter TL-WPA8631P as the second adapter to increase the powerline range.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2023-03-19 01:25:41 - last edited 2023-03-19 01:30:02

What is the purpose of the other 2 ports of PA8030P?

Since it is already connected to the router and since that it must be close by,

the other 2 ports must not be just to be an extension (switch/hub) of the already-close-by router,

since it is already here! it would only be beneficial as a multi-port switch if it was the far away extender (that is my point)

which it isn't, since it has to be close by and connected to the router anyways.

I just think that the design is counter intuitive, but ok I understand and can acknowledge that this is how it was meant to be used.

By the way I'm pretty sure that those adapters have wifi and are not exclusively wired,

since I am able to get wifi from them.

By the way, if I have 1000M bandwidth from the router, and at the extender 8010P it drops to 200M,

should I buy another extender and place it some place in between the 2 to enhance the connection?

should I test it first and see if the connection increases in speed if I try to use it from some place in between to begin with?

If it increases, should I bother buying another extender in between?

I have an old TL-PA4010 kit, can I add them to the 8030/8010 and put them in between to increase the signal fidelity?

or is "pairing" something that can be done only between 2 devices and not more?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 361

Replies: 3

Tags

extender
Related Articles