Ethernet Powerline connectivity problems after installing new router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-15 14:36:47 - last edited 2023-03-15 14:39:17
Tags: #range extender
Model: TL-WPA7617 KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Since upgrading my home internet package (Virgin Media) and installing a new router (Gig 1, Router 6) , my previously stable Powerline (ethernet) connection to my PC is dropping out every 20-30 seconds.

On the Range Extender, the Powerline and ethernet LED flicks on or off every 20-30 seconds. The WiFi light remains on, but is unable to connect via WiFi either when the powerline LEDs are off.

I have tried re-pairing the Adapter and Extender (several times), reset the router, and restored the Extender to factory settings when I could connect through wifi to the extender (via mobile), all to no avail. I've also tried with and without my VPN connection, reset my WiFi card on the PC, and despite everything the wired connection remains extremely unreliable.

Any suggestions? I have downloaded utility and when it recognises the connection, the speeds are decent (~500Mbps), but approximately 50% of the time it doesn't recognise the connection.

Thanks in advance.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Ethernet Powerline connectivity problems after installing new router
2023-03-16 08:12:18

@DoctorTom 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Is the new router (Gig 1, Router 6) Virgin Media Hub 4? And the new internet package is Gig1 Fibre Broadband?

https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/existing-customer-deals/hub

How long have you had TL-WPA8617kit?

Do you have a spare router that we could use to test 8617 since it is very likely something on the new router caused the disconnection?

If possible, please disconnect the master unit---TL-PA7017P from the new Virgin media router, and put it next to the WPA7617 to check whether the powerline light could remain on.

Wait for your reply.

Best regards.

Options
2023-03-17 14:08:25

@David-TP 

Hi David,

Thanks for getting back to me. I upgrade from a Hub 3 to Hub 5, with Gig1 package, and have unfortunately had to send the Hub 3 back already do no other router available.

I bought the Powerline adapter and extender in August 2021.

I will try the technique suggested, thanks. To clarify, the Powerline LED should light up, even if there is not ethernet connection from the router to the adapter?

Thanks again for the reply. I will update after trying the above.

Tom

Options
2023-03-18 16:48:43

@David-TP 

Hi David,

On further testing, I could get the Adapter and Extender to both have powerline lights steady on without connection to the router, but on re-connecting teh adapter to the router, the same pattern of powerline lights flicking on and off every 15 to 20 seconds returned.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Tom

Options
2023-03-21 11:20:46

@DoctorTom 

Hi, Thanks for getting back to me.

I tried to google this issue and it turned out some users had discussed it before in the Virgin Media community.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Powerline-Adapter-Not-Working/m-p/5145580#M503612

It seemed not only TP-link powerline adapters, but Devolo powerline plugs also had the same issue.

I think you might need to contact VM to see whether they could change the settings for us.

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 352

Replies: 4

Tags

range extender