XE75 Pro packet loss

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

XE75 Pro packet loss

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
XE75 Pro packet loss
XE75 Pro packet loss
2023-03-22 23:51:20
Tags: #Firmware Update #Packet loss

Hi,

I am experiencing packet loss, most noticible as a user when gaming on my PC as reported by the game. My PC is plugged into the main Deco using ethernet (Intel nic). The PC does not have any other services running at the time, for example Windows Update is paused, OneDrive isn't running, etc.

My configuration is:

- One XE75 Pro configured as router plugged directly my NTD (I am in Australia using HFC NBN 1000/50) - the 'main Deco'.

- Two XE75 Pro as as mesh AP's using the 6Ghz band as Wi-Fi Network & Backhaul (I have a 6E Macbook Pro that uses 6Ghz). Both reporting 'Strong' signal strength to the main XE75 Pro.

- Firmware Version: 1.0.2 Build 20221020 Rel. 40492

The Deco interface never reports more than <500Kbps up or down during testing. I receive ~7ms ping and ~950Mbps/~46Mbps on a speed test.

If I plug my PC directly into the NBN NTD I don't experience any packet loss.

I also note that the packet loss is significantly worse when connected via Wi-Fi from either my mac or my PC, even with excellent signal strength (for example, using 6E from my mac 1 metre away from the main Deco in the same room with a 2,401Mb/s Tx rate). Have tried running Netweork Optimizaton without change (it always says 'Perfect). I am in a low density residential area and only ever see 2-4 other networks from my computer.

I am using a flood ping from my ethernet connected mac to various IP addresses to test, including my ISP's DNS servers to test. Per the attached, the command is ping -f -c 1000 x.x.x.x.

I have also performed the following in terms of testing and not noticed any improvement:

1. Reset and rebuilt the network using default settings except for SSID and password (it doesn't make any difference which setting the backhaul is on).

2. An isolation test where no other devices are connected to the main Deco except my PC via ethernet (as confirmed by the Deco app).

3. Setup only the main Deco (i.e. not the two mesh deco).

4. Tried each of the three Deco as the main Deco.

5. Repeated the testing from my mac plugged into both the Deco and then directly into the NBN NTU using ethernet, with the same results.

6. Turned IPv6 off and on (my ISP supports IPv6).

7. Tried QoS (this was a nightmare because my downstream bandwidth can vary during peak times).

8. Tried reinstalling Windows 10, and prformed a fresh install of Windows 11 on my PC.

9. Logged a ticket with my ISP, who came back to me today and reported no fault found (unsurprisingly)

Do you have any advice?

I see that others (packet loss is beginning to look pretty widespread as an issue) have had access to beta firmware - I'd be willing to try that if it might fix my issue.

TIA

File:
Flood Ping.pngDownload
Options
3 Reply
Re:XE75 Pro packet loss
2023-03-23 08:26:35

@SiliconT 

Hi, Thank you very much for the feedback.

Were you able to get constant packet loss or how often would you notice this issue, basically every time after launching a game?

How long have you had Deco and did this issue start recently?

It is also suggested to turn off "Fast roaming" and "Beamforming" on the Deco APP>More>Advanced to see whether it helped or not.

Wait for your reply.

best regards.

Options
2023-03-24 00:28:49

@David-TP 

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I purchased the XE75 Pro about five months ago (upgraded from other deco). I am not sure if the packet loss has been constant - we only turned on monitoring in the games and started testing for it about a month ago after we realised it was happening. It's been pretty constant since then. Note that the games aren't reporting ping spikes, just packet loss (will be because of the lower ping frequency). Sometimes the issue is worse than othertimes but then I reboot the deco network and it improves.

I tried turning off fast roaming and beamforming last night with no change to the wired connection. I was watching the bandwidth usage when I saw the game report the packet drops and it was <500Kbps in either direction. Wi-Fi devices obviously wouldn't perform as well with those two settings disabled.

Any other thoughts?

Options
2023-03-24 06:14:44

@SiliconT 

Hi, Thank you for getting back to me. 

I do not have other suggestions anymore and would like to forward your case to the senior engineers for further assistance.

Please check whether you have got an email from us.

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 570

Replies: 3

Tags

Firmware Update
Packet loss