Parental control bypassed with RE

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-24 19:52:37 - last edited 2023-04-26 06:23:35
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.4

Hello, why the parental control settings are not working via range extender, like re505x? I bought re505x plus AX73 router plus homeshield pro, and now it seem it is a lost money, or?

And could somebody explain what is the difference between the bedtime and the offtime settings under the family link, please?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Parental control bypassed with RE
2023-04-25 20:47:30

@VIK78 

Because the RE works in proxy mode, that's probably the reason for RE connected clients to bypass the Parental Controls of AX73 - here's more on that.

HomeShield features are configurable through the Tether app only - here's a guide on that.

And here's a troubleshooting guide for HomeShield Parental Controls.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-04-26 16:56:48

@terziyski 

Thank you for your support.

I do not understand everything what I have read under the link regarding the bypass, because I checked all my devices physical MAC addresses which are connected to the RE and the router as well. All of them are the same what the WEB UI shows. I did to enable the access control's whitelist, and I seen that the RE's MAC addresses are already in it.

So, I do not know where we are now...seems everything is set. So it seems no any randomized MAC address I have. The physical and the recognized MAC addresses are the same, in compare the devices and the WEB UI.

Now I have checked bed time settings and the groups of devices, and the devices inside the groups, everything seems to be fine, but the all of the clients are stay online, no effect after the RE. Then I tried individually the bed time the off time the time limit settings then combine the of them then vica-versa, just only the devices which are connected to the router instead of the RE have the real parental control effect. I'm really disappointed in TP-Link. :-(

Under the link what you copy here regarding the bed time/ offtime settings, unfortunately there is no any explanation what is the difference between them.

Options
2023-04-26 22:06:23 - last edited 2023-04-26 23:07:33

@VIK78 

Time controls:

a. Bedtime: When enabled, the internet is unavailable during this period. Free users can only use Every Day mode. You can upgrade to
HomeShield Pro to set Bedtime flexibly.

b. Time Limits: When enabled, you can set internet time limits to better control the online hours for your family.
c. Offtime: Set the time period when the family member can't surf the internet.

As for the Parental Controls bypassed when a client device is connected to the RE, this has been reported on several ocasions - here, here and here.

Let's hope someone from TP-LInk can provide an insight into this issue for you.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-04-27 18:16:48

@terziyski 

Thanks. Bed time and Off time are seems to be same for me.

I found something regarding the parental control via the RE. IF I manually block the net with click the blocking button in Thether app for one of the family member, it is immediately blocks the net, so it seems the automata settings such as Bed Time and Off time just don't work, it seems to be simple programming error for the command propmpts in the tether app. Or not :-)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 574

Replies: 4