Parental controls issue with range extenders

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-18 21:37:54 - last edited 2020-01-19 06:11:44
Model: Archer VR900  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi

i have just set up my home network using a AC1900 wireless Archer VR900 with a AC1750 range extender RE450.  However, I am unable to use parental controls on my children's devices as they are connected to the range extender and not the main router. The Tether app has parental controls for the VR900 but are missing when I switch to the RE450.

is there anyway to configure parental controls for those devices connected to the range extender? I don't want to disconnect the range extender itself at a certain time as other devices are connected to it. I just want to restrict the kids' devices.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Parental controls issue with range extenders
2020-01-19 06:11:11 - last edited 2020-01-19 06:11:44

@Lard365 

Hello, the RE450 does not support parental control, that is why you cannot find this option on the Tether app when you switched to RE450.

But you can get the MAC address of these devices diaplaying on the client lists of VR900, and then configure it on the Archer VR900, below is the instruction:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1212/

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2543/

May it help. 

Options
Re:Parental controls issue with range extenders
2020-01-19 12:07:31

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks Kevin. I understand that the range extender does not include parental controls but I want to know if it is possible to set up the router’s parental controls to stop my kids accessing the WiFi even if they are connected to the range extender. The links you supplied only applies to websites and not restricting all WiFi access such as TVs linked to the wifi

I bought the tp-link router on the basis that it had parental controls. It seems bizarre that to-link with all their technical capabilities would not have a work around for this.  

I have used the same range extenders with my ISP supplied router and been able to set parental controls from the router that work across the whole network. It seems that the set up I have now acts as two routers, one of which has parental controls whilst the other does not. Have I set up the network incorrectly or is it possible have a network of router and range extenders that limits access for specific devices at certain times?

If not the whole lot can go back to the shop and I will look at a different system.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 2711

Replies: 2