How to use USB tethering on a smartphone to provide internet to an Archer AX 1500 WiFi router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

How to use USB tethering on a smartphone to provide internet to an Archer AX 1500 WiFi router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-27 04:36:10 - last edited 2023-05-04 08:49:10

Model: VX220-G2v

I connected two different Android smartphones to an Archer AX 1500, enabled USB tethering, and it didn't detect them. 

What I tried:

• I logged in via http://192.168.1.1/
  • Clicked "3G/4G settings" under "USB Sharing"
  • Ticked "Enable 3G/4G as a backup solution for Internet access"
  • Changed "Mobile ISP" to "Personal"
  • Clicked Save

Result:

But each time I did, it kept showing "3G/4G USB Modem: unplugged" and "Connection status: disconnected"

I tried turning the Archer on/off via the reboot button in the settings. Didn't make a difference.

About the smartphones:

• VPN/bluetooth/wifi were all turned off on both smartphones.
  • One is a modern Android phone released in 2022 running Android 13, another is an older one running Android 7.
  • Both were using data cables that I've confirmed still work to charge and transfer files. 
  • Both are able to tether internet via WiFi hotspot, so I know they are able to provide internet. 

Is USB tethering from a smartphone possible? If so, how?

Options
3 Reply
Re:How to use USB tethering on a smartphone to provide internet to an Archer AX 1500 WiFi router?
2023-05-05 07:35:52 - last edited 2023-05-19 07:17:20

@Viral_Footwear 

Hi, have you tested if the laptop is connected via USB to the smartphone, is the laptop able to get internet service directly from the phone?

If you temporarily change the operation mode on VX220-G2v to 3G/4G router mode, would it make any difference?

(Update: Since VX220-G2v is a customized model for internet service providers, I noticed its web interface is a little different from the general DSL modem routers and It does not have 3/4G router mode under Operation Mode. Sorry for the inconvenience. )

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
Re:How to use USB tethering on a smartphone to provide internet to an Archer AX 1500 WiFi router?
2023-05-11 14:29:43

@David-TP 

David-TP wrote

@Viral_Footwear 

Hi, have you tested if the laptop is connected via USB to the smartphone, is the laptop able to get internet service directly from the phone?

If you temporarily change the operation mode on VX220-G2v to 3G/4G router mode, would it make any difference?

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

1. Yes, I can supply internet via USB tethering to a laptop with the smartphone and the data cable I'm using.

2. How do I change the operation mode to 3G/ 4G router?

I've gone to the settings page of the router and I've looked under wireless.

I've done a search of the settings using the search feature and i can't find any such option.

The only option available is to click on USB sharing and then click 3G 4G settings.

Is there something I'm missing?

3. Sukie, TP link technical support, told me via email:

"VX220-G2v doesn't support USB Tethering. The USB on it is for sharing files"

Is that correct, or not? 

Options
2023-05-19 06:17:45

@Viral_Footwear 

Hi,

VX220-G2v supports 3G/4G backup function but a regular USB modem is needed to connect the USB port.

What's more, the USB modem and VX220-G2v must be compatible with each other to connect internet access.

However, in your case, it seems that you are trying to use a smartphone to replace the USB modem. We didn't test smartphone as USB modem before and there are various of smartphones in the market, thus we are unable to guarantee the compatibility. Since modem status shows unplugged when you connect either of your phones to the VX220-G2v USB port, it means they are not compatible.

Except for the smartphones, do you have any other regular USB modem? 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2550

Replies: 3

Related Articles