Router firmware auto update not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-03 18:44:40
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.17

I love my AX55 router, but the firmware auto update function doesn't seem to work -- see the screenshot below. The "new" firmware has been available for two months, but the firmware hasn't been updated. I have been able to do it manually for prior versions, but I really wish that the auto update would work. Is there something that I am missing?

Thanks!

Options
5 Reply
Re:Router firmware auto update not working
2023-05-03 22:48:10 - last edited 2023-05-03 22:48:46

@dwhiting56 

Hi,

Given that the "Update Time" is a timeframe rather that a specific time, it could be that the router is probing for a certain condition during those two hours, but that condition is never met?
For example, the router might be waiting for a moment when the network isn't being actively used, so as not to interrupt someones work. This wouldn't necessarily have to be a real person, even things like messaging apps or certain IoT devices might continuously exchange data packets with their servers in the "Cloud".

In case it would be feasible to do for you, then you could test that theory by disconnecting all clients for one night and then check in the morning if the firmware has been updated or not.

Options
2023-05-03 22:55:06

@woozle 

Thanks, but  if I have to disconnect 10+ devices to do this, it would be easier to just do it manually. When I press the Update button on the router web pages, it works fine, even during the day with more activity going on. We are always asleep during that auto-update time range, so it seems like the auto-update should also work even if there is some light background network traffic. It seems to me that, if I select Auto-Update, that I am giving the router permission to cut off any network traffic during that time period.

Options
2023-05-03 23:08:27

@dwhiting56 

I agree it wouldn't solve your problem if it was indeed like that. The only thing the test might accomplish is to help answer the question why Auto Update hasn't been working.

Options
2023-05-03 23:13:08

@woozle 

I went ahead and did a manual update.

Next time a new version comes out, maybe I'll try to disconnect everything and see what happens overnight.

Options
2023-05-04 03:37:44

@dwhiting56 

I believe woozle could be right. When enabling and using the Auto Update, the router will need to follow certain rules to decide whether it can upgrade the firmware. If there are always clients or applications transferring data during the Update Time, the router won't update.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 673

Replies: 5

Related Articles