Unable to connect to USB storage FTP server from outside the local network.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-05 19:09:25 - last edited 2023-05-05 22:57:54
Model: Archer VR600v  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 0.7.0 0.9.1 v0075.0 Build 200616 Rel.36749n

Hello,

Disclaimer: I have very limited knowledge when it comes to networking in general so I am most likely missing something obvious here.

I have been trying to connect to a small file server which is a USB stick attached to the router for the past day and no matter what I try I can't access it from outside the local network. I am mainly trying with an android phone app (file manager +) which works fine via SMB, FTP and SFTP when its on the same wifi. But the whole point of me doing this is to have access to some files from far away. 

Whenever I use the FTP (via Internet) IP given in the USB storage device section of the router it simply fails to connect unless I am on a device which is on the same network.

My network setup is this:

1) One DSL modem router (ISP provided) in one room which acts as modem and also has a few wifi devices on it.

2) My TP-Link archer which is in wireless router mode in the other side of the house and receives internet from the first one via the WAN port carried over a powerline set. This is the one the USB stick/FTP server I am trying to access is on.

I have also registered a DDNS hostname with tplinkdns which also doesn't work at all neither from inside or outside the network even though everything seems correctly set up. I tried using it for remote management after checking the remote management box and to access the USB to no avail. Then tried another DDNS with noip and it didn't work too. 

The most baffling thing is that I did this setup almost 2 years ago in a different house but with the same ISP and same routers and it was working just fine with tplinkdns. I could access the USB and remote management just fine. I even factory reset the router and switched from Dynamic IP connection type to PPPoE and still nothing.

I don't know what I am missing here. Any help is appreciated.

Edit: I have since tried to access it with Filezilla from a laptop and it gets stuck on "connection established, waiting for welcome message". Then after 20 seconds it times out.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Unable to connect to USB storage FTP server from outside the local network.
2023-05-06 00:02:08 - last edited 2023-05-06 00:32:09

@section94 

Hi,

Is the ISP-provided DSL modem router physically the same unit that you used 2 years ago in the different house or is it just the same model, but a different unit?

In case the DSL modem router you use now is not the one you used previously, then you need to setup again the port forwarding rules on this new DSL modem router to have the FTP data packets forwarded to the IP address of the Archer VR600v. 

Options
2023-05-06 09:44:25 - last edited 2023-05-06 14:12:39

@woozle  It is a different unit but the same model. I also suspected the ISP router might be blocking the traffic. But I never had to do any port forwarding on the old one.  Also recently discovered my ISP was blocking many ports with a "enhanced security feature" which I disabled. Never disabled that in the past when it was working and also made no difference now.

Also can someone explain this to me:

This is what the ISP router and Archer USB sharing shows with PPPoE connection type. I don't see it assigning an IP to port forward to. But the USB access addresses on the Archer seem to correctly point to pubically routable IPs (even tho they still don't work).

PPPoEPPPoE USB

This is what happens with Dynamic IP connection: The Archer and my PC are assigned IPs normally but the internet USB sharing addresses all become internal IPs which are unusable for my purpose.

DynamicDynamic

The WAN IPs you see in the 1st case don't match with my actual public IP as reported by sites like whatismyip which is why I post them openly. I googled and I read it may have something to do with sth called carrier-grade NAT which honestly is way beyond me.

Right now I am on Dynamic IP mode and I did this to the ISP router: Port Forward

No change. No matter what I do I can never access anything from outside the network using the public IP on any port. Could I be typing sth wrong? Lets assume traffic was completely open with no issues. What exactly would I need to input (I mean what is the correct syntax) to access a specific device from outside the network. Lets say I am on windows file explorer or filezilla on a different network and I want to connect to the USB. The LAN IP of the device I want to access is 192.168.1.15. The public IP is hypothetically 101.98.28.9. What would I need to type exactly?

Options
2023-05-06 15:47:19

@section94 

Hi,

I am surprised that you are able to establish an Internet connection via Dynamic IP as well as PPPoE without changing the operation mode of the ISP router.

But anyway, as you have already noticed, your ISP has apparently now put you behind a carrier-grade NAT.
CGNAT uses the IP address range 100.64.0.0 - 100.127.255.255, of which your IP address 100.67.23.4 is part of.

So it looks like when you moved to another house your contract with your ISP changed and the new contract doesn't include a public IPv4 address anymore. 

To be sure about this you should also check the WAN IPv4 address of the ISP modem router. I think that modem router should have some status page that shows this information. Check if that address is also in the range 100.64.0.0 - 100.127.255.255.

But with this you won't be able to access your FTP server from the Internet.

What you could do is to contact your ISP again and ask them to put you back on a true "public" IPv4 address, like you had previously when you lived in the other house.

Options
2023-05-07 20:46:56

@woozle 

Yea I can confirm I am behind a CGNAT. The ISP routern WAN is also in that range...

I will contact the ISP in the next days although I am afraid they will refuse to take me off the CGNAT.

One last question: If the CGNAT problem is solved, all port forwarding is done, traffic is not blocked by anything etc:

How would I reach the Archer router in dynamic IP mode where it only has a local IP? If I typed ftp://PUBLIC_IP:21 would it know to forward the request to the Archer? Or do I have to switch to PPPoE mode in order to make the USB access addresses the same as the public IP?

Options
2023-05-08 22:22:47

@section94 

If you don't want to use PPPoE on the Archer router, then the proper port forwarding has to be active on the ISP router.

With the port forwarding you showed in your last photo the ISP router will forward an incoming connection ftp://PUBLIC_IP:21 to ftp://192.168.1.15:21.

Depending on whether the ftp connection is active mode ftp or passive mode ftp there may be additonal ports needed to be forwarded. In case it doesn't work with only port 21, then test if it works when you forward everything. (i.e WAN Port Range 0 - 65535, LAN Host Port Range 0 - 65535)

Options
2023-05-09 11:57:07

@woozle 

Called the ISP and they took me off the CGNAT in about 30 seconds! But I asked if there there is a chance it comes back automatically at some point and they said yes. I got it working immediately after the switch with just this port forward rule above. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 730

Replies: 6

Related Articles