Deco has temporarily switched your Wi-FI channel width to 80 MHz due to detected radar signals.

Deco has temporarily switched your Wi-FI channel width to 80 MHz due to detected radar signals.

64 Reply
Re:Deco has temporarily switched your Wi-FI channel width to 80 MHz due to detected radar signals.
2023-08-24 11:00:24

JohnLawyer wrote

@raven-au  I don't see how TP-Link are "stuck", given that this router is unique in having this problem while other routers don't?

just give us a settings toggle in the app to turn this off? If it was a legal requirement then it would affect all routers and it doesn't. Other routers can turn off this behaviour.

Other routers don't turn this off, they are not permitted to do so!

I have seen many such discussions on Small Net Builder regarding problems with routers dropping to 80 MHz and people complain bitterly about it and get no-where because it can't be changed.

You might consider trying to work out what device is causing the interference.

I remember a couple of times I had a lot of interference on free to air television and one time I, more or less, accidentally discovered it was a computer monitor about 7 meters away from one of my TVs causing it. It this was affecting the whole house.

Point is, if you shouldn't have any radar interference causing a problem it might be something else causing it.

Options
Re:Deco has temporarily switched your Wi-FI channel width to 80 MHz due to detected radar signals.
2023-08-24 11:20:24

Now that I have a look at the available channels in the US I see that in the upper 5GHz band there is a 160 Mhz channel available that does not need to use DFS channels. There might be other locations whose allowed channels permit it.

So while there's no hope for me here in AU if TP-Link are willing to use the fully available channel range on devices that have only one 5Ghz radio (they might not want to because of the overall design of the "Deco all work with each other" concept) it should be possible to use 160 MHz without dropping to 80 MHz.

Options
2023-08-25 05:44:10

JohnLawyer wrote

@raven-au  this is not true, please stop posting incorrect information. Most routers either have it disabled by default or a setting to toggle it on or off. Here's an article by HowToGeek about it (I was prevented by the forum software from posting the link, but it's easy to find)

There is no reason why TP Link can't put this as a setting toggle and allow us to turn it off if we choose to. This is exactly what other manufacturers do. 

@JohnLawyer I'm sorry, maybe I don't understand what your saying.

Please, tell me what it is you are saying should be an option.

Are you talking about a setting to select the channel used?

That would be a welcome addition and is of course not restricted by regulations.

Options
2023-08-28 08:10:37

@IntrovertSins 

This is what the box says

"Robust High-Speed Connections

Experience ultra-fast Wi-Fi with more connected devices thanks to the brand-new 6 GHz band. The added 160 MHz channels prevent competition over bandwidth and drops in speed"

160MHz is not  "robust" if it drops all the time. TP-Link should specify clearly that if you live X miles from an airport or have planes flying within X distance of the router that 160MHz drops and is not "robust"

Options
2023-08-28 09:52:50

@Whatacon Radar detection is a problem on the 5GHz DFS channels. It is not a problem for the 6GHz band!

Since replacing a Netgear EX7700 that was affected by radar detection with a couple of Deco XE75 Pro, I have not noticed any problem with radar detection (touch wood)!

Options
2023-08-28 10:20:32

@Divad 

I stand corrected, you are right but I still feel there should still be a claer warning about the radar and living near an airport or having planes flying nearby.

Options
2023-09-05 11:26:27

I've switched to 80 MHz permantently and it seems a lot more stable now.  Not noticed any performance impact.

Options
2023-09-06 01:13:32

Well, I've been having increasing network instability for several weeks now. No idea what it could be, but it does seem to have coincied with a recent firmware update.

That said, I think it is exactly the issue descibed here. I just happy to be at a computer when internet was lost. I saw the Deco unit (XE5300) flashing read and so I opened the stupid app. The app had a warning about this swtich to 80Mhz and thus a google search lead me here.

Rather annoying to say the least. I suspect that this is likely related to proximity to an airport and flight path. Guess I'll finally start running the Cat 6E cable I bought...

Options
2023-09-06 01:15:14

Whatacon wrote

@IntrovertSins 

This is what the box says

"Robust High-Speed Connections

Experience ultra-fast Wi-Fi with more connected devices thanks to the brand-new 6 GHz band. The added 160 MHz channels prevent competition over bandwidth and drops in speed"

160MHz is not  "robust" if it drops all the time. TP-Link should specify clearly that if you live X miles from an airport or have planes flying within X distance of the router that 160MHz drops and is not "robust"

Options
2023-09-06 04:42:58

@Holocron Radar detection is a problem on the 5GHz DFS channels. It is not a problem for the 6GHz band!

Options