NordVPN on TP-Link AX21

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

NordVPN on TP-Link AX21

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
NordVPN on TP-Link AX21
NordVPN on TP-Link AX21
2023-05-24 17:35:12 - last edited 2023-05-27 19:29:01
Tags: #VPN
Model: Archer AX21  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.1.4 Build 20230219 rel.69802(5553)

Just purchased a new AX21 for the expressed purpose of using the OpenVPN client to connect the router to NordVPN. I was able to successfully install/configure the client to NordVPN server. However, I then found that my upload/download speeds were severely limited. Without the VPN active, I could get ~200 Mbps download and ~110 Mbps upload speeds. Once those devices were added to the VPN Device List through router GUI, the download/upload speeds declined to ~11Mbps/~1 Mbps, which is unacceptable.

NordVPN Support validated proper configuration and concluded the processing power of the router was the bottleneck. I did not validate this through the performance (cpu/memory) stats of the router at the time. Does anyone have a similar VPN client configuration the AX21 and have been successful without the severe throughput degradation? Nord indicates the encryption/decryption process taxes the router resulting in poor upload/download speeds....

Does TP-Link publish any benchmark results for the AX21 when utilizing VPN client?

thank you in advance

rick flair

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:NordVPN on TP-Link AX21-Solution
2023-05-26 03:02:39 - last edited 2023-05-27 19:29:01

@RickFlair 

I believe NordVPN Support is right. The processing and CPU of the router are not as powerful as a computer, so you will find the speed will be decreased dramatically when connecting to the VPN server. And I assume there is not much TP-Link can do with the firmware.

While the good news is some of their AX routers would get WireGuard supported in the future as stated here below:

Wi-Fi Routers that are Planned to support WireGuard VPN

The list provided by TP-Link may be updated, so you can check if your model will appear in the list and would expect a speed improvement in the future when connecting to a WireGuard VPN server.

If my reply helps with the issue, please click on the arrow pointing upward. If it solves your issue, please click the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:NordVPN on TP-Link AX21-Solution
2023-05-26 03:02:39 - last edited 2023-05-27 19:29:01

@RickFlair 

I believe NordVPN Support is right. The processing and CPU of the router are not as powerful as a computer, so you will find the speed will be decreased dramatically when connecting to the VPN server. And I assume there is not much TP-Link can do with the firmware.

While the good news is some of their AX routers would get WireGuard supported in the future as stated here below:

Wi-Fi Routers that are Planned to support WireGuard VPN

The list provided by TP-Link may be updated, so you can check if your model will appear in the list and would expect a speed improvement in the future when connecting to a WireGuard VPN server.

If my reply helps with the issue, please click on the arrow pointing upward. If it solves your issue, please click the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 390

Replies: 1

Tags

Related Articles