"Confidential Only For Test" again

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-27 04:11:52
Model: Archer MR500  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Firmware Version:‪1.2.0 0.9.1 v0001.0 Build 230103 Rel.58914n

Hi,

So I've installed the 230103 firmware upgrade in my Archer MR500 and the watermark in the subject line is plastered all over my dashboard screens.

I've looked at previous inquiries about this occurrence and I understand that it happens when a beta firmware has been installed, but the 230103 build is not a beta firmware -- or at least it doesn't have the word "Beta" in the version name.

Can someone please tell me why I'm seeing this watermark, and if there's any way of getting rid of it?

Thanks!

-- Offdave

Options
3 Reply
Re:"Confidential Only For Test" again
2023-05-28 15:24:35

@Offdave 

Hi,

Was this firmware update offered to you by the router itself or did you download it via a download link that you found somewhere?

You can only get rid of the watermark by either downgrading to the a previous non-test/beta firmware (if the router allows it) or wait for the next non-test/beta firmware to be released and then upgrade to it.

Options
2023-05-28 15:34:46

Apparently there is a newer firmware version for the "EU" model that just hasn't made it onto the various regional webpages of TP-Link yet. You could use the translation feature of the Chrome browser to translate it into your own language.

https://www.tp-link.com/de/support/download/archer-mr500/#Firmware

Options
2023-05-29 05:16:06

@woozle 

Hi @ woozle,

Thank you for your helpful replies.

I saw the 230103 firmware here:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/586804

I didn't have the Tiscali/Fastweb problem this firmware was intended to solve, but I was suffering from frequent disconnections and was trawling through the posts here looking desperately for a cure of some kind and, well, I landed on the page above which had a more up-to-date version of the MR500 firmware. I thought it was worth a try. The update went without a hitch -- apart from the "Confidential Only For Test" watermark on the dashboard screens. I see now that the link to the file has the word "beta" in it, but the word doesn't figure in the post or the title of the firmware version itself.

I tried rolling the firmware back to the original version (220517) but the router refused the upload.

I'd seen the 230414 firmware you mention in your second post a little earlier. I believe it was developed to patch a security hole that has been discovered by a German consumer group. The posting software here won't let me include a direct link to the story, but it was on the guru3d website and references a "wps pixie dust vulnerability".

I didn't install this patch at the time because I was focused on wrestling with my dropped connection problem, but I have now, and -- just as you suggested -- the pesky "Confidential Only For Test" watermark has vanished. The patch also changed (updated?) the ISP file to 23031701 for some reason. Which was surprising, but -- assuming it doesn't cause any connection problems -- is fine by me. The most recent ISP file I'd previously been able to find (23021501) was intended for every 4g router except the MR500...

Thanks again for your help.

-- Offdave

Options