X20 not getting internet after firmware update?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-30 20:02:14 - last edited 2023-07-31 07:32:46
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: Deco X20(EU)_V4_1.1.0 Build 20230517

I have just firmware updated my Deco x20. They have worked with no problem before. The main Deco act as router. My internet modem is in bridge mode. VLAN tagging required by the internet provider.

Via the app I updated to: Deco X20(EU)_V4_1.1.0 Build 20230517

After reboot they were not getting back on the internet? VLAN tagging still active.

I tried reboot of both modem and the deco´s still no internet?

Then to test if there was internet from the modem, I tried the original router supplied by the internet company. No problem wifi and ethernet.

Then I put back the decos and after more time without internet but contact via wifi and the app the decos got back on the internet?

I then put the decos to automatically reboot during the night. This morning no internet? Restarting both modem and decos still no internet?

Then back on the original router again internet. Then back on decos and after some time (more time than usual after reboot) they get internet?

I suspect some error in the new firmware? A lot of changes? But why is the original router needed to sort of prime the way to get internet? Has the decos lost some negotiation ability?

From time to time a reboot is needed but it is troublesome that I have to plug back the original router and then back after every reboot?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:X20 not getting internet after firmware update?-Solution
2023-07-26 13:30:59 - last edited 2023-07-31 07:32:46

@David-TP 

Thank you for your quick response. Well after following your instructions regarding the NBN and Router restart now everything it's working well. I have successfully connected other Deco's.

After updating the firmware. I have setup the Deco as usual. But the internet was not working and there was that red light on the main Deco.

However, after restarting the NBN and the router it automatically connected. There was nothing I had to do.

I don't if it was just luck or system restart has somehow managed to reset everything.

Thank you,

Best regards

Recommended Solution
Options
11 Reply
Re:X20 not getting internet after firmware update?
2023-05-31 03:25:33

@Decoish 

Hi, welcome to the community.

It is suggested to clone the MAC address of the old router to Deco to see whether it helped:

How to Configure MAC Clone on Deco

If the same issue started again, please send an email to support.forum@tp-link.com with the following details:

1. May I know who is your internet service provider?

2. Did the main Deco turn solid red when there is no internet?

3. Please go to Deco APP>More> Internet connection>IPV4 and save a picture of this page when the internet stopped working.

Wait for your reply.

Best regards.

Options
2023-06-03 08:05:06

@David-TP 

It worked. 

Just funny it needed the Mac address after firmware update and not before? 

But thanks. 

Options
2023-07-26 04:32:42

@Decoish 

I got the same issue. However, even after the Mac address change its still not working. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong but after installing the new update today it's not working at all. Please help. Thank you.

Options
2023-07-26 04:35:45 - last edited 2023-07-26 04:40:05

@David-TP

I have followed your instructions to the letter. But it's still not working. Internet is connected and working fine. Only the Decos are not. Please help. Thank you

Options
2023-07-26 08:49:02

@Eran26 

Thanks for the feedback, and I also saw you have submitted a support ticket with us.

How about the IPV4 details here:

I see you choose Dynamic IP. Did you set up any VLAN tags for Aussi Broadband?

Have you tried to connect the laptop via cable to the NBN box directly to see what IP addresses are on the laptop?

How to find IP address on your devices

(you could update the support ticket with the required pictures above.)

Please also try to restart the NBN box once to see whether it made any difference.

Wait for your reply.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2023-07-26 12:33:51

@David-TP 

I was also to quickly to state that it worked. 

After restart of my fiber net modem the decos will not get internet.

Even after using fixed address as provided by the router from the internet company? 

I can get internet by connecting the original router and then the main deco? 

As mentioned by others the problem started after the firmware update? Before the update the deco system picked up internet automatically? No fixed Mac adress. 

Somehow the deco is changed? Nothing is changed with the fiber broadband modem? 

Thank you 

Options
Re:X20 not getting internet after firmware update?-Solution
2023-07-26 13:30:59 - last edited 2023-07-31 07:32:46

@David-TP 

Thank you for your quick response. Well after following your instructions regarding the NBN and Router restart now everything it's working well. I have successfully connected other Deco's.

After updating the firmware. I have setup the Deco as usual. But the internet was not working and there was that red light on the main Deco.

However, after restarting the NBN and the router it automatically connected. There was nothing I had to do.

I don't if it was just luck or system restart has somehow managed to reset everything.

Thank you,

Best regards

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-07-31 10:10:51

Just realized that I have updated my system with af US update and not EU? It was presented in the Web UI but not in the app?

Could this be the cause? The homepage state that the hardware are not the same?

The EU is not updated since 2022. The US receives regular updates?

Should I downgrade the system to the official EU version?

Thank you

Options
2023-07-31 11:35:45

@Decoish 

Hi, Thanks for getting back to us.

Deco X20 V4 1.1.0 shared the same firmware download link for both EN and US versions. So your Deco X20 would still match with EU standards after the firmware upgrade.

I reviewed your previous record and the Clone MAC address could only fix the internet issue temporarily. Once the fiber modem is restarted, Deco would lose the internet connection again, right?

May I know who is your internet service provider? and can I have the model number of your fiber modem?

By the way, are you able to stably reproduce this issue?

Thank you very much.

best regards.

Options
2023-07-31 12:11:21

@David-TP 

Yes correct the issue was not resolved. Only temporarily when connecting the original modem and then afterwards connecting the main deco. The main deco is set up as router.

Both a restart of the fiber box and/or a restart on the DECO's would result in loosing internet.

My internet provider is Hiper (https://www.hiper.dk/bredbaand/fibernet). They use VLAN tagging (https://www.hiper.dk/hjaelp/udstyr/vlan-tagging). This worked perfect with restart before the latest firmware.

I will post data on the fiber box when I get home.

I was looking into the European tp link local sites. Scandinavia (Denmark, Sweden and Norway) only has a very old firmware. Where Germany, the Netherlands and the global TP link site has a lot and newer firmware for EU.

I used the one from the global site: 

Deco X20(EU)_V4_1.1.0 Build 20230517

There is no difference in Hardware in EU I hope? 

All the trouble started after the latest update? I was considering going one step back to:

Deco X20(EU)_V4_1.0.4 Build 20230303

But if a new firmware is on the way I should perhaps wait?

Options