wpa7617 kit blocking some traffic

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-31 14:58:57
Tags: #Powerline
Model: TL-WPA7617 KIT  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.10 build 220701 Rel.65093n (6985)

Hi!

I am having an issue with my Powerline WPA7617 kit that is driving me crazy.

I have internet connection through Starlink, which is then connected to a Powerline adapter through Ethernet. Now, when I connect to the WiFi network provided by the WPA7617 wifi-extender, for some reason it blocks some of the traffic: Twitter on my mobile stops showing media content, Google Translate stops working, and some other services are not working correctly.

When I switch back to the WiFi provided by Starlink router, everything is working just fine, so it's not an issue with Internet or the router.

These issues are present both on 2.4GHz and 5GHz connections. I've tried changing various settings including manual DNS settings, different channels, encryption methods, etc. Nothing works.

I also tried moving the Starlink router to bypass mode, which did not resolve the issue, but added some new ones: now I could not access the Network Configuration of the Powerline adapters, and it was using some weird IP and Mask settings.

I don't want to return the Powerline Kit to the dealer, as it is showing good speeds, but I will be forced to do so if these issues are not resolved. Anyone has any ideas how I could make it work?

Options
6 Reply
Re:wpa7617 kit blocking some traffic
2023-06-01 06:05:22

@Matronster

Hello, if you only have Starlink router, no additional routers, please disable the bypass mode on the Starlink router, or there is no router in the network to share internet access to multiple devices, and client device will obtain IP address from your ISP directly instead of the Starlink router, that is why you obtained weird IP address etc..

Besides, the powerline adapter is connected to LAN port of your Starlink router or Ethernet adapter? the issue only happens on a mobile phone, and other devices have no problem with Twitter or Google Translate? How about connecting a laptop to the LAN port of TL-WPA7617 extender?

Please also try different wall sockets to see if it makes any difference.

By the way, please let us know how many client devices are usually connected to the powerline extender, what kinds of devices and model no. of those devices. 

Options
2023-06-02 08:37:00

@Sunshine 

I have tried to reset everything to default, so the Starlink router is in the Router mode now, and the Powerline adapters are factory reset. The issue still persists.

I am having the problem both on the mobile devices and on laptop, but the problems are a bit different. For example, on my MacBook the "Translate" option in Google Chrome is not working any more while connected to Powerline WiFi. Also, some games are not connecting to their server on Powerline WiFi (i.e. MTG Arena). It looks to me that Powerline somehow blocks some ports, but there is no such configuration in the Powerline interface.

A different power socket does not help. I have less than 10 clients connected to the Powerline (2 phones, 2 laptops, PS4, Android TV, IP Camera). 

Options
2023-06-05 08:23:35

@Matronster 

Hi,thanks for the reply.

To assist you efficiently, I've forwarded your case to the TP-Link support engineers who will contact you with your registered email address later. Please pay attention to your email box for follow-up.

Options
2023-06-05 10:02:53

@Sunshine 

Thank you, but I will be returning the item to the vendor today. I only have 3 days left to be able to return, and I don't want to lose 85 euros on an item that does not work correctly. While I do enjoy Powerline as a technology, and the speeds are pretty good (showing 500+ Mbps on powerline), I can't be using an item that makes it impossible to use internet connection on the phone. Google Translate is not working, Viber is not sending images, Twitter is not lading media, and some games are stuck while connectin to a server. This is clearly an issue with ports blocked by Powerline Wi-Fi.

I will not be able to assist your technical support with remote connection, as I won't have the item on me any more. Will probably go along with Devolo or even the good old FTP cable through the house.

Options
2023-06-05 12:55:56

@Sunshine 

A little update: I have returned the 7617 kit back to the vendor and took the 8631P kit instead. Installed it, and so far so good. I will keep monitoring the behavior of the new kit, but haven't noticed any issues yet (within the first 30 minutes). It looks like the issue with 7617 kit is with the firmware, and unfortunately that was the latest firmware available...

Options
2023-06-06 08:20:30

@Matronster 

Thanks a lot for the update and glad to hear that the 8631P kit seems to working fine, if there is any further issue, please let us know.

Hope you could enjoy the internet with our products.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 468

Replies: 6

Tags

Powerline