TL-SG1008D desktop switch needs to be restarted each day

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-08 12:39:05
Model: TL-SG1008D  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

My Desktop TL-SG1008D requires to be reset/restarted each morning. Any suggestions? 

I pinged the config and got these results; which to my limited knowledge appears proper;

Pinging 192.168.15.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.15.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.15.1: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.15.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 15ms, Average = 3ms

Thank you

Options
7 Reply
Re:TL-SG1008D desktop switch needs to be restarted each day
2023-06-08 13:53:52

@mbrunini 

Hey

What you are pinging at a guess is your ISP (internet service provider) router and not the switch.   The reason I say this is the switch you mentioned is whats known as a dumb switch, namely it just passes traffic in and out of the ports without looking at it in depth.    Therefore unless this is faulty, it shouldnt be the cause of your issue and its likely the ISP router that is the fault, restarting the switch just re-connects the connection and fixes the issue.

Next time this happens try restarting the ISP router instead and see if it fixes, may take a few mins to boot up so be patient.    If that doesnt work, try restarting the PC next.. basically confirm that it is the switch causing it. 

What colour are the ports on the switch lit up?   orange or green?     Generally switches are simple things, so rarely do they cause issues... however as said it could be faulty.

Options
2023-06-08 15:50:31

@Philbert Thank you very much for you thoughtful response.

The LED's on this TL-SG are all green - blinking.

This is one of three (3) desktop switches within our office area.

The other two do not have this issue.

• One is a TP-Link; different model
  • And the third is a Linksys model.

They have not required a reboot/on-off at all.

There are two (2) PC's connected to this troublesome TL-SG switch

There are two (2) each connected to the other switches.

None of which have had same experience.

The two PC's connected to the troubled switch are shut down each day upon the departure of the users.

When we come in the morning, the PC's indicate that there is no network connection.

That is when we restart the switch. (unplug - replug).

Thanks again for your assistance.

It is much appreciated.

Regards

Options
2023-06-09 17:44:52

@mbrunini 

Im guessing these are all going back to the ISP router, are the switches into seperate ports on the router?  or have you connected 2x switches together.

You could try swopping the switch with one of the others and see if the problem follows the switch...  after that then it sounds like its just faulty

Options
2023-06-09 23:20:23

@Philbert Great idea!  "You could try swopping the switch with one of the others and see if the problem follows the switch".

I had not thought about that.

I will give that a try.

Our chief administrator told me today if it keeps needing to be reset, to purchase a replacement.  But yet also mentioned they want to switch the office machines to WiFi. 

That of course would negate the need for the switch.

Thank you Philbert for the feed back and assistance.

regards.

Mark

Options
2023-06-11 10:36:17

@mbrunini 

Just curious why they would want to move to a WiFi setup for fixed devices?  Any idea what the thinking is?   Its likely to cause more issues and arguably reduce performance.   Perhaps im old hand, but WiFi should only be for mobile devices, physical devices just wire them in :)

Options
2023-06-11 15:55:09

@Philbert They have been told that the WiFi signal strength will be fine. I have apprehensions. They do not like the clutter of the cabling for another.  Being an older building the CAT cable was never installed within walls so it runs to a single outlet in one wall of an office. The switch is then connected to that and the cabling for the desktops runs to it beneath the desks. It is not in the way, but is unsightly.  Until this comes to fruition, I am toying with the idea of just putting a outlet timer in and plug the faulty switch into it and then  setting it to shut of at 3am and come back on at 3:05am.

If I remember, I will keep you posted to as to how successful the WiFi option is.

Thank you again.

Options
2023-10-09 11:00:48 - last edited 2023-10-09 11:15:21

Check the switch cooling and venting. i've got the same problem with one switch in a closed closet with the proper ventilation. When sometimes sun get on the closet i've got to reset the switch. I though of opening the switch enclosure and to add a proper passive and massive cooler. But i did some other changes... All was solved here by selecting a less hungry unit and by installing a converter from mains to DC (meanwell brand) cliped on the electrical rail. New unit was fitted with plastic clips on the back to get it fixed on the elec rail with coolling from every sides.

Another point may be that your switch with plastic enclosure must be installed over hard surfaces, never on soft ones, and must never be covered by anything. Again just a question of cooling.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 910

Replies: 7

Related Articles