Failure to set up Archer VR2800

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-10 17:05:48 - last edited 2023-06-12 10:27:04
Model: Archer VR2800  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 0.8.0 0.9.1 v006c.0 Build 220512 Rel.41022n

I have changed service provider to full fiber, but cannot get the router to recognise the internet. The connection setup page does not list the provider, Ogi (www.ogi.wales), so I assume I should select 'other'. I chose VDSL rather than ADSL, I assume I should leave the VLan tag alone as 101.

I'm told that Ogi uses DHCP and I should select Dynamic IP (though nowhere says DHCP). There are no other choices, but this does not connect to the internet. The manual says that the wan port works with FTTH - I am using that port (and the correct port in the incoming ONT box) and have checked with two ethernet cables to ensure it is not that at fault, with no change.

I need some help therefore with what settings to use - the manual doesn't help me with this. Thanks to anyone able to help.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Failure to set up Archer VR2800-Solution
2023-06-11 13:52:08 - last edited 2023-06-12 10:27:04

@Chris297 Update ...

I tried again setting the wireless router as the connection (the router rebooted). It automatically selected a dynamic IP and a tag of 101. So I tried with no tag. Nothing changed, just the red light for internet. Just to try, I changed from dynamic to static IP and filled in the gateway address, though it was pointless because I didn't know all the numbers, so I went back to dynamic IP and ...

The light went blue and the internet started working. Thanks so much for the help :-)

Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:Failure to set up Archer VR2800
2023-06-11 10:59:15

@Chris297 

Hey

Full Fibre is VERY different from VDSL / ADSL and in short your router likely wont work on that technology if it is a standard UK full fibre setup.    Im guessing when you got the fibre installed it now has a ONT in your house / premises?   This is usually a small white box around the size of a hockey puck that has the fibre in one side and network cable on the other., do you have one of these?

Options
2023-06-11 12:34:16

@Philbert Thanks ... I'm learning fast, but the manual, online and so on all specify that this model (Tp-Link VR2800) - which is still being sold, even though it has been around a while (and it still has firmware updates) - is ' Compatible with DSL connections, fibre/cable access and 3G/4G USB dongles'. Everything I can find indicates it is compliant (the manual is here:  https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/download/archer-vr2800/ on p3 and p5).

And correct, the incoming line terminates at a Nokia box on the wall with ethernet connection to the router.

My understanding doesn't go far enough - does this mean that even though the manual and sales blurb states it will work with FTTH etc, it won't under some circumstances? Like mine? I'm trying to figure out why it won't work, at least with the settings I have tried, or if the settings are simply wrong.

And if it won't work even though the blurb says it will and this is one of the higher-end models, how do I buy something else that will work, when it likely says exactly the same thing from what I have looked at for alternatives?

Very confused ...

Options
2023-06-11 12:51:42

@Chris297 

Yeah the fibre types are sometimes confusing!   ISPs tend to mix and make their own terms which is even more awkward!

In short what you have now is FTTP (fibre to the premises) also known as FTTH (fibre to the home), basically its a straight fibre cable from them to you, no copper in use.

What makes it confusing is VDSL is also fibre known as FTTC (fibre to the cabinet), namely its fibre all the way to your local exchange, where you then dial up over copper for the last bit (hence the DSL)..  ADSL is now old and is copper all the way.   In short anything DSL has copper in it somewhere and this is no longer what you are getting.

Therefore you need a WiFi Router as you are no longer connected to the copper (the gray port in the back of the VR), you are also not dialing anything as it's no longer a telelphone line you have in place.     WiFi routers have a WAN port in the back, this is designed for the connection to the ONT mentioned in my last post and they dont dial the connection, they just authenticate your username/password to let you onto the fibre network

Sorry mate, but this router isnt going to work as its for DSL connections, not FTTP.    You need to look for a WiFi Router with a WAN port in the back so you can plug this into your ONT box (nokia I think you said), your upgrade to full fibre is actually a massive change in the underlying technology. 

Either a WiFi Router, or a single Deco device would do you perfectly and offer some WiFi extension at a later date.

Options
2023-06-11 13:08:45

@Philbert Thanks again - and I understand what you say. But, I have a Wan port in the back of this router. And the manual says it will work with fiber and it lists in the specs that it works with FTTH ... So, the things you say I need, it has. With most service providers listed, like Sky and Plusnet and so on, it would be easy to choose from the drop-down list. Ogi, being a new provider (and the only one in this area, so no choice), is not listed, so I have to find my own settings.

I don't disbelieve you when you say it simply won't work. Just, I keep reading in the specs that it will work, and with my level of understanding not knowing why. So, I have a wifi router with a wan port. I have FTTH. I have these connected with ethernet using the correct ports. But I cannot work out what settings to use in the router hardware ...

I do thank you for your time

Options
2023-06-11 13:21:04

@Chris297 

The list you are seeing is for VDSL / ADSL setups, you need to switch the operating mode on the Router to WiFi Router mode.   Working from memory here but its under ADVANCED > OPERATION MODE

This will disable the DSL Modem and force it to use LAN Port 4 as the WAN port.    Provided that there is nothing fancy in terms or VLANs or anything with your ISP, that should start you down the right path.     Basically you need to get the WAN port to pull a DHCP (Auto Address) and that should suffice for basic setups.   This is primarily a Modem Router so is designed for DSL, but thinking you may be able to fudge it if the operation mode works as intended!

Options
2023-06-11 13:27:19

@Chris297 

Page 17 is basically what you are after, however i cant see any mention of VLAN for the WAN port so hopefully your ISP doesnt need one :)

https://static.tp-link.com/1910012125_Archer%20VR2800(EU)_V1_UG.pdf

Options
2023-06-11 13:44:04

@Philbert Thanks again ...

You got me a bit further. I found the place to change to wireless, as you said. Then I had to set the connection type, which was reduced to a VLAN ID or none (I tried it with the default 101), and type of connection (I tried Dynamic IP). The router rebooted and this time as well as the wireless lights coming on, the internet light came on as red (as opposed to not at all). The manual says this means 'correction is correct but internet service is unavailable'. The latter was tested while the engineer was here on Friday and was all good. I tried with no VLAN (it didn't reboot) which made no difference. The VLAN ID and the type of connection are in the 'basic' area while the connection type, to select wireless router, is in the advanced, as you said.

So that is a bit further, but still not connected. Anything else I might try? With thanks for your time (and apologies for delays between responses: I lose my internet connection between each attempt of course)

Options
Re:Failure to set up Archer VR2800-Solution
2023-06-11 13:52:08 - last edited 2023-06-12 10:27:04

@Chris297 Update ...

I tried again setting the wireless router as the connection (the router rebooted). It automatically selected a dynamic IP and a tag of 101. So I tried with no tag. Nothing changed, just the red light for internet. Just to try, I changed from dynamic to static IP and filled in the gateway address, though it was pointless because I didn't know all the numbers, so I went back to dynamic IP and ...

The light went blue and the internet started working. Thanks so much for the help :-)

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-06-11 14:35:52

@Chris297 

Likely the ONT caused that, its a common thing!

ONTs tend to try to hand out an auto address for a few mins after reboot, then stop.. you sometimes need to reboot both the ONT and the Router within a few mins of eachother to get the green light.. its a bit of a pain but seen it before!

Thankfully there wasnt anything fancy from the ISP, just a VLAN and login details..  long as its working!

Glad you got sorted however, nice new internet.. enjoy!   :)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 832

Replies: 9

Related Articles