Deco X60: Very frequent connection drop off

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-20 01:58:50 - last edited 2023-06-20 02:08:22
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.2.4 Build 20230601 Rel. 37750

Hi Deco/TPLink community :

I have 2x Deco X60 (3.0) units bought in Dec. 2022 , about half year ago, it was working mostly fine until this month ...

Ever since I upgraded the firmware (version : 1.2.4 Build 20230601 Rel. 37750) some time last week , multiple of our devices , including iPhone 14 Pro Max, and 2 x MBP (Intel chip) laptops have been experiencing consistent / very frequent connection drop offs.

I logged in into the web console  and pulled the system logs.

Searching the mac address of my device (which is an Apple MBP laptop , 2019 model running Ventura OS 13.4)

You see that it keeps dropping off twice within a few min. with "client_mgmt: client(......) not found in arp table ......"

5651:Tue Jun 20 11:11:16 2023 daemon.err client_mgmt: client(5C-52-30-9C-A7-46) not found in arp table disconnect_counter=0
5718:Tue Jun 20 11:11:33 2023 daemon.err client_mgmt: client(5C-52-30-9C-A7-46) not found in arp table disconnect_counter=1
5761:Tue Jun 20 11:11:50 2023 daemon.err client_mgmt: client(5C-52-30-9C-A7-46) not found in arp table disconnect_counter=2
5874:Tue Jun 20 11:12:25 2023 daemon.err client_mgmt: mac 5C-52-30-9C-A7-46 had uploaded
6763:Tue Jun 20 11:17:17 2023 daemon.err client_mgmt: client(5C-52-30-9C-A7-46) not found in arp table disconnect_counter=0
6815:Tue Jun 20 11:17:34 2023 daemon.err client_mgmt: client(5C-52-30-9C-A7-46) not found in arp table disconnect_counter=1
6854:Tue Jun 20 11:17:51 2023 daemon.err client_mgmt: client(5C-52-30-9C-A7-46) not found in arp table disconnect_counter=2
7031:Tue Jun 20 11:18:50 2023 daemon.err client_mgmt: mac 5C-52-30-9C-A7-46 had uploaded

The full logs a few seconds before the drop off, it showed a few other errors ("triggerMonSteering: Failed to get uplink rssi for ...") and it seemed multiple devices were affected altogether :

Tue Jun 20 11:17:46 2023 user.notice dhcpv6: start dial, iface=br-wan
Tue Jun 20 11:17:47 2023 daemon.err nrd[1308]: triggerMonSteering: Failed to get uplink rssi for D8:EB:46:0D:FC:31
Tue Jun 20 11:17:51 2023 daemon.err nrd[1308]: triggerMonSteering: Failed to get uplink rssi for CA:AB:FF:5A:61:D2
Tue Jun 20 11:17:51 2023 daemon.notice nrd[1308]: estimatorPerformMeasurement: Do 11k measurement for D8:EB:46:16:30:22 on channel 6 from serving BSS APId 255 ChanId 6   ESSId 0  
Tue Jun 20 11:17:51 2023 daemon.err nrd[1308]: estimatorCmnHandleBeaconReportEvent: Invalid beacon report for D8:EB:46:16:30:22
Tue Jun 20 11:17:51 2023 daemon.err client_mgmt: client(AE-76-F9-3E-0F-EC) not found in arp table disconnect_counter=0
Tue Jun 20 11:17:51 2023 daemon.err client_mgmt: client(5C-52-30-9C-A7-46) not found in arp table disconnect_counter=2
Tue Jun 20 11:17:51 2023 daemon.err client_mgmt: client(4C-2E-B4-EB-88-D9) not found in arp table disconnect_counter=1

Please help ! This is severely affecting our work from home and normal life now...

Thanks!

Options
15 Reply
Re:Deco X60: Very frequent connection drop off
2023-06-20 02:16:12

I tried to download the old version 1.0.17, and manual upgrade the firmware in web console, however, it failed , it appears that only allows upgrading to newer firmware versions.

Is there a way that I can downgrade the firmware version ?

Options
2023-06-21 08:01:41

@lyle-w 

Hi, Thank you very much for the feedback.

The firmware downgrade might need to be done via firmware recovery:

How to use firmware recovery on Deco (HTTP method)

Since the engineers are highly concerned about the feedback on the latest.1.2.x firmware, could you please also send an email to support.forum@tp-link.com with the following details:

1. Is the satellite X60 wirelessly connected to the main Deco?

2. Have you noticed any Deco turned red during the disconnection?

3. A copy of the system log file from the web UI.

And here are some suggestions that might help to improve the network stability:

• Turn off fast roaming as well as beamforming on the Deco APP.

Fix unstable connection when connected to the Deco network (case3)

• Please also turn off "Private Address" on Apple devices.

Thank you again.

best regards.

Options
2023-06-21 08:25:44

David-TP wrote

@lyle-w 

Hi, Thank you very much for the feedback.

The firmware downgrade might need to be done via firmware recovery:

How to use firmware recovery on Deco (HTTP method)

Since the engineers are highly concerned about the feedback on the latest.1.2.x firmware, could you please also send an email to support.forum@tp-link.com with the following details:

3. A copy of the system log file from the web UI.

And here are some suggestions that might help to improve the network stability:

• Turn off fast roaming as well as beamforming on the Deco APP.

Fix unstable connection when connected to the Deco network (case3)

• Please also turn off "Private Address" on Apple devices.

Thank you again.

best regards.

Hi   @David-TP 

Thanks for your reply and sharing the related articles.

I was in a chat support with your TP-Link chat team, got recommended to change DNS settings to manual and use Google's 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4

I was told that DNS server side conjunctions may block clients somehow and get them kicked off by routers - I'm not sure how that happens exactly but since I'm not networking engineer , I just took the advice and try it ...

Also, we change our home internet ISP just overnight.

So with these both changes in place since last night , it did drop off for a few times in the first few hours .

But today since morning I used it for working for a day it looks much more stable so far.

So I'll keep using this way for a few more days and see how it goes, if the drop-off happens again I'll contact the support email and provide the full system log file.

Yes when the issue happens I noticed only a few (one or two) clients disappear from the app and they cannot connect , the rest of network were all good.

Not that I'm aware of.

I did turn off the "Mesh Technology" for some of the mobile devices we use a lot, also make the 2.4GHz network the default/preferred - as I know when moving around with 5GHz connected it's easy to get the client switch in between 2 routers (I have had this problem some time before so now trying to use 2.4GHz as preferred especially for mobile and laptops )

Options
2023-06-21 11:41:52

@David-TP 

I just experienced another drop-off, sent an email to the mentioned email box, with subject starting with "Attn. David-TP"

Please check and investigate.

Thanks

Options
2023-06-22 23:02:58

@David-TP 

I have sent another email to the mail box you mentioned, providing another log file for several hours this morning.

The email subject is "Re: Attn. David-TP / Deco X60(v3.0) drop-offs......"

Please help to check and advice.

I have disabled "Fast Roaming" and "Beamforming" in the Deco app., but it looks like the disconnection/drop-off still happens for some of our devices.

Please help to investigate and provide solution ASAP. Thanks

Options
2023-07-16 09:37:01

@lyle-w @David-TP 

Hi there. I experience exactly the same. I thought it was a hack at first and posted a message because I didn't recognize the public IP but that was false alarm. I read in your thread that it happened some weeks ago and that was exactly during our vacation. Now the past week we have frequent connections drop offs which is quite irritating. We have the Deco since January 2022 and has always been stable and reliable.  The system must have updated the latest firmware during our vacation. I have done several resets but still have the same problem. I replaced my Deco X60 with an old Apple Extreme and now the connection works fine though the Wifi is not as fast and doesn't cover the whole house. But at least it proofs something is wrong with the Deco X60.

Did you solve the problem and if so how? 

Thanks so much // Erwin

Options
2023-07-16 10:13:09 - last edited 2023-07-16 10:15:46

@ErnieBernie 

Hi Erwin:

There are a couple of things you can do :

1) create a support ticket with TP Link

I started a live chat support session (https://www.tp-link.com/au/support/contact-technical-support/) with TP Link, then after answering some basic and irrelevant questions from the chat representative and some negotiation, he agreed that it sounded like a deep enough technical issue to report to his back-end support technicians so we logged a support ticket in TP's system and then there is an engineer from TP Link China team to reply / discuss the issue with me via emails.

Via emails with a dedicated engineer you can send debug logs and discuss more technical details (b/c I'm in IT background so I know some common knowledge here).

Though this wasn't very helpful in my case - YMMV - this mostly depends on which engineer you get to your ticket in my opinion. :)

2) reset whole wifi network / all Deco units

Allow 30-40 min. outage time and perform an entire factory reset to all Deco units in your wifi network ( https://www.digitalcitizen.life/factory-reset-tp-link-deco/ ).

Though this doesn't change the firmware version , it does seem to resolve some issues.

Note to use the manual reset way - find a SIM pin and push into the reset button/hole on Deco units and keep pushing for a few seconds. Do this on all Deco units one by one so they're all "new" devices, then completely reset your home wifi in Deco app.

Since I did this full factory reset to my two X60 units, the wifi network is getting so so much better / stable now. Although we still see a couple of dropoffs (maybe once or twice a week) , it no longer affects our work / life now (99% time I can have reliable Zoom meetings during business hours now).

3) isolate the problem to one/particular Deco unit

If your home got several Deco units , you can try turn one unit on each time and observe - see if the problem happens on only one / particular unit.

If you have two or more units in your home but only one drops off frequently , then it's more likely a hardware issue.

4) turn off (disable) "Fast Roaming" and "Beamforming" in Advanced setting in Deco app. Also you may click into each client device and turn off "Mesh Technology" , these are things I was told to do in my support ticket (also in this thread above) . It seems TP Link engineers are not very confident in these fancy modern features too.

Options
2023-07-16 11:20:07

@lyle-w 

Hello Lyle,

Thanks so much for your fast and long reply. I really appreciate it. I will start with the support ticket and see what that will bring. I guess I need some error reports so I have to reconnect the Deco system to retrieve them.

In the meantime I have done some of your suggestions already yesterday and this morning before I switched to my old router, though turning of one unit at the time (I have 3) was not one of them. I will check that though I have a strong feeling it`s a firmware issue.

I wonder why they suggested to turn off the Mesh technology. Isn't that the reason why we have purchased this router? :-) But anyway I will give it a try. My fastroaming and beamforming was already switched off (I read that somewhere yesterday) but that didn't change a thing.

I will reconnect the Deco and see what happens. Worst case scenario is that I will have my old Apple as main router and use the Deco as extenders. I don't know if this will improve the wifi speed but it's worth to try if it comes sofar. This will limit some Deco features though. 

I will keep you posted. Thanks again for your help

kind regards Erwin

Options
2023-07-18 12:45:01

@lyle-w 

Hi Lyle,

Gave it another try and did a total reset again on the Deco X60. Set the DNS once again on Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1. The network is not overloaded as the children are not home today. Have to wait and see what happens later when there is more action on the network like gaming and TV.

I downloaded a Ping app on my iPhone ( called Ping v2.2.1) and monitored the network and not lost packages. I did the same with my iMac, found a Ping site and also here after 2 hours no lost connections. That is promising sofar. I will wait with connecting the 2 extra X60 satelites to create the Mesh in my house. Let's see first how the single X60 behaves.

Will keep you posted

Options
2023-07-18 16:04:53

@ErnieBernie 

I have the same problem with kpn fiber (netherlands) after the new update

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1558

Replies: 15

Related Articles